Chapter 148

Janeece and Steph followed the small crowd out of the hall and onto the playground where Chlo and Donte's celebrations were continuing. They had stayed for an hour and had a drink, continuing the conversation they'd had in Charlotte's office.

Everything felt better, for both Janeece and Steph. It would never fully be ok or better; not without Maxine. They would always miss her, and the memory of what happened would stay with them forever. But they had each other, and that was what mattered. They would get through this.

"Do you want a lift home?" Steph offered

"No, it's ok. I'll walk" Janeece insisted

"Well, then, I'll see you tomorrow" Steph smiled

Janeece nodded.

"Thanks, Miss"

Before Steph could even head over to her car, Chlo was calling after her. Steph turned to find the girl in front of her, handing her and Janeece a pink balloon. Steph frowned at her.

"I just wanted to do something for Maxine" Chlo explained

Steph smiled tearfully.

"I don't know what to say" she whispered

"Best say nothing. Maxine used to puke when we got all soppy!" Janeece chuckled

Steph laughed, watching Chlo who was making sure everyone had a balloon in their hand.

On the count of three, everyone let go of their balloons. Steph watched with a smile as the pink and purple balloons flew up into the sky. As she watched, she thought of Maxine. Beautiful, funny and kind Maxine. She missed her so much, and it was clear that everyone else around her did too as they all shouted words of love and clapped.

"I love you, Maxine" she whispered into the air

...

The short drive home had only made Rachel feel worse. She was relieved when the car came to a gentle stop as Eddie parked on the drive. Rachel wasn't usually the type to suffer from travel sickness, but today seemed to be an exception.

With Eddie's help, she got out of the car. For a moment, she thought she would have to get back in the car, due to how weak and shaky her legs felt. Thankfully, Eddie wrapped an arm around her waist to steady her as they walked over to the front door.

When they got into the hallway, Rachel leaned heavily against the wall, placing a hand to her head as she took deep breaths. The room was spinning dangerously fast. She could feel the sour, putrid taste of the bile in the back of her throat as her stomach grumbled and churned. She had wanted to come home to get changed before going to the Doctor's, but now it felt like she needed a lie down.

Eddie placed his hand on her arm gently. She was swaying unsteadily on her feet.

"Alright, love?" he asked softly

Rachel shook her head, a whimper escaping her lips. She had never felt so ill in her life. She had been feeling bad over the last week, but right now it only seemed to be ramping up in intensity. How much worse could it get?

Eddie carefully lifted her into his arms, carrying her into the living room. He laid her down on the sofa, placing a cushion behind her head to ensure she was comfortable.

As he kneeled down beside her, he noticed how unwell she looked. She hadn't looked well for the last week, but this was different. Her skin was clammy and ashen. She was shivering, but he could feel the heat radiating off her. Her eyes were glazed over as she stared at him. She definitely needed a Doctor.