Chapter 113

Maxine was already in Tom's classroom, wanting some peace and time away from her so-called friends. Janeece had let her down massively today. It was the last thing she'd wanted to happen.

Something odd had happened during lunch that Maxine couldn't stop thinking about.

She'd been sat in the van with Chlo and Janeece, listening to them mock and judge Earl. A girl had entered through the school gates. Maxine had watched as she'd walked furiously over to Earl. The girl was around her age, maybe younger, but she was in a mess. Her hair had been tied up into a messy bun; her clothes were stained and scruffy. She looked like she hadn't slept for days.

The girl and Earl had argued, before she'd stormed out of the gates again.

Maxine had confronted Earl about it, and he had explained. The girl's name was Jade; she was from his previous school.

"She just turned up! She's mental! It's like she's stalking me!" he'd told her

Maxine had thought it was odd that she'd just turned up out of the blue, especially dressed up the way she was. She looked like a junkie. But Earl had reassured her that all he'd tried to do was help Jade, and now she wouldn't leave him alone. Maxine believed him. He hadn't told her about Jade because he was embarrassed, and he knew it would harm his case with his social worker. Maxine understood, and she did believe him. Earl wouldn't lie to her. She just hoped this Jade didn't come back and try to ruin things for them, like everyone else currently was. They loved each other and deserved to be happy. Maxine was about to have everything she'd ever wanted. A home, a loving partner, and a baby. It didn't get more perfect than that.

She rolled her eyes when Steph walked into the room. Maxine had, had enough of her.

"Look, Maxine, nobody wants to stop you doing what you want to do with your life. I've always thought you'd make a smashing Mum"

"You could've fooled me!" Maxine mumbled, rolling her eyes

"It's just... you're so young. Why not wait a bit?" Steph reasoned

Maxine huffed, slamming her pen down

"I'm old enough, Steph. It's not like it'd be my first time!"

"But that's just it. You know how big of a deal it is! Why don't you at least wait till after your exams, eh? Give yourself a chance" Steph suggested

"Earl doesn't want to" Maxine shrugged

"And what do YOU want?" Steph challenged

"We want the same things! That's why Earl is special!"

"Oh, Maxine! We all want to have a bit of fun now and then, but having a baby with the likes of Earl Kelly?" Steph shot back

Maxine scoffed, snorting loudly

"Yeah, because you're an expert on all this? Having kids, relationships?" Maxine snapped

Steph threw her head back in frustration. She really was fighting a losing battle. Sure, she'd never had a child of her own. All the relationships she'd had, had never been serious. None of that mattered. She knew Maxine like the back of her hand. And she knew the real Maxine didn't want this. Earl Kelly had poisoned her mind, and Steph wasn't sure if there was a way to reverse it.

With a heavy heart, she walked out of the classroom, slamming the door behind her.

...

Eddie walked into Rachel's office, sitting down opposite her angrily.

"Who's done what now?" she asked, sensing his anger without even having to look up from her paperwork

"Rob and Tom were fighting when I took Linda into the staffroom" he explained