Part 3 - The Choice - Scene 4 - Tuesday

Originally written and posted on 3/26/2024 

Please Note: This first draft is subject to change upon official publication, including the addition of never-before-read scenes. If you enjoyed this chapter, please show your support by liking and following me for more smutty dark romance featuring all the controversial elements readers love—or love to hate.

Part 3 - The Choice - Scene 4

As soon as Jane stepped through the door, her first instinct was to hunt down her charger and plug in her cell phone to see if worked. Connecting the device, her heart pounded with anticipation. Would it turn on? Was it beyond repair? Relief washed over her as the charging symbol flickered to life on the screen.

She set it on her nightstand and headed straight for the shower, the warm water soothing her tense muscles and easing her thoughts. Everything was back where they should be, with her.

Wrapped snugly in a towel, Jane grabbed an apple from the kitchen before settling onto her bed, intending to search through her phone before taking a much-needed nap.

As Jane took a bite of the apple, the shrill ringing of her cell phone startled her. With a swift motion, she reached for it on the nightstand, blinking against the sudden brightness of the screen. It was her mom calling.

"Hello?" Jane said, putting her mother on speaker.

"We landed a few hours ago, then got lunch. Sorry I didn't call you sooner," her mother sighed, already sounding annoyed.

"'Sokay," Jane yawned. "I was just about to take a nap." Jane regretted the words immediately.

"If you sleep too much, you won't be able to sleep tonight. Honestly, Jane," her mother scolded her. "You shouldn't be napping at all."

"I'm up," Jane replied, rolling onto her back. "Stop worrying."

"I just wanted to check in to make sure everything is okay."

"Everything's fine. What are you guys doing?"

"Shopping," her mother's voice had an edge to it. "You father forgot to pack his socks and dress shoes for the funeral."

"But he remembered his meds," Jane laughed.

"Don't be a smart ass. I'm not in the mood," her mother groaned with a soft laugh. There was a stretch of silence before her mother's muffled voice broke through, "Those at terrible! Put them down. They don't match your suit."

Jane could hear her father in the background saying, "No one is going to see them."

"Get the black ones. You can wear them to work as well," her mother's voice became clearer she focused on the call again. "I swear, your father would be lost without me. Dear God, who forgets socks?"

"You can always just text me if you guys are busy," Jane said, rolling her eyes, longing to hang up and take her nap.

"We'll be busy the next few days with family coming into town. Your Aunt Patty is getting in tomorrow, so that leaves me planning the rest of the funeral," her mother explained.

"How's grandpa?" Jane asked.

"He's not doing well. He took a fall yesterday, hurt his leg, and is now stuck in bed, which leaves everything on my plate. I might have to stay longer than I thought to make sure he's well enough to be on his own," her mother sighed.

"Then cross me off the list of worries. Seriously, I'm stuck doing homework and final projects this week before winter break. You don't need to call if you don't have the time. Just worry about grandpa, and text me updates," Jane rushed out.