Part 6 - The Choice - Scene 7 - Friday

Originally written and posted on written on 4/4/2024 posted on 5/19/2024

Please Note: This first draft is subject to change upon official publication, including the addition of never-before-read scenes. If you enjoyed this chapter, please show your support by liking and following me for more smutty dark romance featuring all the controversial elements readers love—or love to hate.

Scene 7 – Friday – 4/4/2024

The drive back into town felt interminable without the guidance of lights through the woods. When Cooper finally emerged onto the main road, the drive quickened. The radio played the only sound inside the car, a tense silence hanging between them. Jane glanced at the dashboard clock; it was 8 pm, thought it felt like a decade had slipped away in the cabin.

Jane clutched her backpack tightly to her chest, her eyes locked on the darkness streaming past the window.

"Will you ever talk to me?" Cooper asked, his gaze flicking toward her.

Jane shook her head, staring straight ahead.

"When do your parents get back?" he pressed.

They approached the outskirts of town, Jane's eyes tracking the passing streetlights. She must have zoned out because Cooper pulled into their housing development, slowing to a stop near her street.

"Jane," Cooper began again, "When do your parents get back?"

She held up three fingers.

"Three weeks? Three days?"

"Days," she mumbled, turning back to the window.

"Would you ever go back to the cabin?" Cooper asked.

Jane shook her head, no, and unlocked the passenger door. Before Cooper could react, she climbed out and slammed the door behind her, wanting nothing more than to escape him.

Her legs ached, but she pushed herself to jog down the sidewalk, her bag bouncing against her back.

"Janey, wait." Cooper leaned over and rolled down the passenger window.

Jane quickened her pace, but he followed closely, the engine a persistent growl.

With an exasperated sigh, Cooper slammed on the breaks. "Jane, stop!"

She halted, heart pounding.

Cooper leaned over, his eyes piercing through the window. "I'm calling you tonight, and you better pick up. If you don't, I'll come over."

He sped off, tires screeching music blaring, leaving Jane in a cloud of burning rubber.