Part 14 - The Aftermath - Scene 4 - Second Weekend of Winter Break

Originally written and posted on written on 5/14/2024 posted on 5/19/2024

Please Note: This first draft is subject to change upon official publication, including the addition of never-before-read scenes. If you enjoyed this chapter, please show your support by liking and following me for more smutty dark romance featuring all the controversial elements readers love—or love to hate.

Scene 4 – Second Weekend of Winter Break – 5/14/2024

On the Friday before school resumed, Jane's parents celebrated her dad's promotion with dinner from a new sushi place. Hours later, Jane felt sick, her stomach churning as she threw up everything she had eaten or drank. Her parents were fine, at least for the night. By morning, her mom started throwing up too, but her dad remained unaffected. They assumed it was food poisoning since Jane and her mom shared their rolls.

With genuine illness, Jane didn't have to fake being sick. By Monday morning, she was still vomiting and running a low-grade fever. Her whole body ached, but she forced herself to get up and try to eat something. She managed to down a plain slice of toast and some water, feeling fine until she peeled a banana. The smell alone sent her racing to the bathroom. By the time she returned, her parents were heading out the door.

She crawled back into bed, exhausted and nauseous. Each time she drifted into a shallow sleep, fever dreams tormented her. In one, the phone rang in the kitchen, but as she walked down the hallway, it stretched endlessly away. No matter how fast she ran, she could reach the end. At one point, she tripped and fell through the floor, free-falling through and expanse of green pine trees. As she plummeted towards the Earth, a cabin came into view, and a phone inside it started ringing. Its shrill bell grew louder, reverberating in her head.

Jane jerked awake, thinking she heard the front door slam shut. She shuffled to the living room, but the door was still locked.