Part 5 - The Choice - Scene 3 - Thursday

Originally written and posted on written on 4/2/2024 posted on 5/18/2024

Please Note: This first draft is subject to change upon official publication, including the addition of never-before-read scenes. If you enjoyed this chapter, please show your support by liking and following me for more smutty dark romance featuring all the controversial elements readers love—or love to hate.

Scene 3 – Thursday – 4/2/2024

They drove in near silence. Jane sat in the front seat, clutching her backpack, her bottom lip rolling between her teeth as she stared out the window. When Cooper turned into her housing development, she glanced forward, waiting for him to near the third street before motioning to turn right.

"I know where you live, Jane," Cooper mumbled, casting a glance toward her before turning the wheel.

Jane pulled her backpack closer to her chest with a curt nod, her cheeks flushing. When Cooper slowed to a stop in front of her driveway, she released her seat belt and moved to open the door.

"Stop." Cooper's tone turned cold, demanding.

Jane froze with her hand on the door handle, unable to bring herself to look at him. The burn of his stare was palpable. Anxiety pricked at her nerves as she moved her fingers around the handle.

"About the bathroom." He sighed, rubbing a hand over his face. "I should say that it never should have happened and that I'm sorry I put you though it, but I'm not. Sorry, that is."

Jane turned in her seat to face him. His eyes were cold, and there was a slight tick to the corner of his lips. He reached out, the backs of his fingers grazing the skin of her forearm.

"You should be thanking me, actually, because I held back." He fell silent, his eyes roaming her face as Jane sat in fear. "I wanted to do something else, but it wasn't the right time."

Jane slowly nodded, wanting to bolt, to run inside her house and never speak of any of it again. Pulling the handle, she leaned against the door.

"Wait." His fingers wrapped around her wrist, his grip firm and tight. "There's more I need to say."

His touch sent fear rushing through her. How could there be more?

"Brittany found out ...." Cooper trailed off when Jane's face paled. "She doesn't know exactly what we did, but she knows we were together in the bathroom."

Jane frowned, wishing she'd open her mouth and correct him. That he should say what he did to her, but she remained quiet as tendrils of panic wrapped around her heart. It was a struggle to get in a full breath. She realized that's why they were there in the hallway, looking for her.

"Say something." Cooper loosened his grip and slid his hand up her arm and over her shoulder, creeping towards the back of her neck.

Jane shook his hand off her body, her frown deepening with anger. Brittany was after her because of what he did to her. She fought back tears but knew by the sting in her eyes, she was failing horribly. All she could do was stare back at him and shake her head no, she wouldn't say anything.

"Why don't you talk? You know that's why everyone picks on you, right? People think you're retarded."

Jane scoffed, allowing the bitter laugh to speak for itself. She had a 4.1 GPA and was on track for whatever overpriced Ivy League college her parents wanted her to attend. She was far from retarded, and the audacity of him saying that, of anyone saying that about her, made her cheeks hot with anger. She didn't speak because she had nothing to say. She didn't speak because no one cared to listen. She didn't speak because, to them, she didn't exist. So why bother?

Jane forced her gaze away from his and opened the door wide.

"Can I call you tonight?" Cooper asked.

Jane paused with one leg outside the car. Cooper chuckled, but darkness crept into his tone as he met Jane's gaze.

"I guess I'll find that out tonight."

Jane's eyes dropped to his parted mouth, focused on the way the corner of his lips ticked up the longer she stared. Conflicting emotions surging through her like a raging hurricane. Did she even have a choice? Her head dipped the slightest bit, and the tick grew into a full grin.

She moved to leave, but his hand caught hers, his fingers slipping over her palm to pull her back.

"I'm going to ask you something tomorrow. I need you to say yes, even if you don't want to." He released her hand, and she stood, closing the car door without a second thought and hurrying up the driveway.