Part 8 - The Choice - Scene 1 - Sunday

Originally written and posted on written on 4/5/2024 posted on 5/19/2024

Please Note: This first draft is subject to change upon official publication, including the addition of never-before-read scenes. If you enjoyed this chapter, please show your support by liking and following me for more smutty dark romance featuring all the controversial elements readers love—or love to hate.

Scene 1 – Sunday – 4/5/2024

The shrill ringing of her cell phone jolted Jane awake. Groaning, she rolled onto her side and opened her eyes, squinting against the harsh sunlight streaming through her bedroom window. Something seemed off about the window, but in her groggy state, she couldn't pinpoint what.

With another groan, she rolled toward her nightstand, fumbling for her phone to silence it. Her fingers brushed against the cold metal. Why was everything so blindingly bright this morning?

"Hello?" she mumbled, still heavy with sleep.

"Hey, kiddo. Did I wake you?" Her dad's voice crackled on the line.

"Yeah." She rubbed her eyes with a yawn. "What time is it?"

"A little after 7 am your time."

"Who's screaming?" Jane sat up abruptly, the grogginess rapidly fading.

"Your grandpa died this morning, hon. That's why I'm calling." Her dad sighed. "Your mom just got off the phone with the hospital."

Jane frowned, trying to comprehend how her grandpa could have died from a mere hip injury. "What happened?"

"The doctor said it was a heart attack, likely brought on by undetected pneumonia." There were muffled voices and another scream in the background. Then the noise faded. "Sorry, I just stepped out onto the porch. Your mom wants to get a lawyer, sue for malpractice."

Jane shook her head, knowing her mother would be relentless. "Oh ..." She struggled to find the right words. "What happens now?"

"We're extending our trip another week, at least."

"What?!" Anxiety gripped Jane, squeezing her lungs like a vice.

Her dad began outlining their plans while Jane fought to steady her breathing. "I can work from my laptop. Your mom will have to call Sharell in the morning and update her."

"How's mom taking it?"

He signed deeply. "She's more angry than anything. I don't think she's even cried yet."

"Give her time." Jane's gaze flicked toward the window. It was open a few inches. She frowned, not recalling opening it the night before. She stood and crossed the room in two quick strides. The cold winter air had chilled the room, making her shiver. She slid the window closed. "Maybe she's in shock," she added, settling back under her covers and drawing them around her.

"Your aunt is on her way over now to pick up your mom. They're going to the hospital to sign all the paperwork. I'm on funeral duty." He sighed again. "Everything's a mess. But how are you, kiddo? Getting into any trouble?"

Jane forced a laugh. "Nothing too eventful. Just studying and finishing up midterm projects before winter break. I can't wait to watch TV all day and do nothing." A pang of guilt settled in her chest at how easily the lie slipped out.

"Well, that's good to hear." He laughed, the sound mingling with his sigh of relief. "At least we don't need to worry about you. Have you run out of cash yet?"

Jane was quick to lie again. "I'm good, I think."

"Okay," he paused. "But if you run out, use the emergency credit card."

Jane grew quiet. "Hey, dad?" she said, biting her bottom lip as her eyes glossed over. She wanted so badly to tell him what had happened but couldn't.

"Yeah?" There was more shuffling on his end, a mumbled conversation with someone in the background. "I don't know when they open. I'll have to call."

"I miss you guys," Jane said as the first tears fell down her cheeks. She wanted to add how something terrible had happened to her and she didn't know what to do, but her dad wasn't listening.

"Ope, your aunt just pulled up." He rushed out the words, not hearing Jane's confession. "Gotta go, kiddo. Call us if you need anything. And don't get into any trouble."

He hung up.

Jane dropped her cell phone on the bed, fresh tears filling her eyes. They weren't coming home after all. The small spark of hope she had felt at the thought of them returning that night fizzled out. She blinked away the tears, her lower lip trembling so badly she had to clamp it between her teeth.

She pulled a pillow onto her lap, leaned over it, and pressed it tightly against her face, screaming as loud as she could.