Part 12 - A Love Story - Scene 2 - Thursday

Originally written and posted on written on 4/30/2024 posted on 5/19/2024

Please Note: This first draft is subject to change upon official publication, including the addition of never-before-read scenes. If you enjoyed this chapter, please show your support by liking and following me for more smutty dark romance featuring all the controversial elements readers love—or love to hate.

Scene 2 – Thursday – 4/30/2024

Jane was forced to stay for the full day, due to a midterm in her fourth-period class that she couldn't miss. Somehow, she managed to avoid Cooper and the bathroom, sticking to her normal routine without another run-in.

It wasn't until the final bell rang that Jane encountered Ashley on her way out of the school. She passed Ashley without a word or a glance.

"Jane!" Ashley called out. "Jane! Hey, wait up!"

Ashley caught up to her, slightly out of breath. "Look," she began in a rush, "I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for everything I said and did to you. You didn't deserve it. I know this isn't an excuse, but I don't really know why I did any of that in the first place." Ashley shrugged. "I think I got caught up with Brittany. She really has it out for you, and I don't understand why."

Jane stared at her in silence, nodding slightly, making Ashley laugh nervously.

"Aren't you going to say anything?" Ashley asked.

Jane shook her head and turned towards the bus line, leaving Ashley behind.

"I–I really am sorry, Jane," Ashley called after her, but Jane only quickened her pace.

As Jane neared the start of the bus line, she paused briefly before deciding to walk home instead. The long walk would give her time to think and avoid any chance of running into Cooper at the bus stop. The last thing she wanted was another confrontation.

She followed the winding sidewalk down to the main road, crossed the street, and headed right. Her phone pinged in her backpack. She slipped it out and read the message.

Mom: "Just checking in. How were your last mid-terms?"

Jane thumbs flew over the keyboard as she replied.

Jane: "Think I aced Algebra. Turned in my big Psychology project, too."

Jane continued to walk, waiting for a reply from her mom that never came. She pulled up her texts and hovered over the name Holden. Instead of pressing it, she swiped right and deleted the entire thread. There would be no more Cooper, not after yesterday.

Jane opened her mom's text again and reread it, wishing for a response. When a few more minutes past, she typed out another message.

Jane: "When are you and dad coming home?"

She hit send, but her mom still didn't text back. Slipping the phone into her back pocket, she focused on the cracks in the sidewalk.

As Jane neared the park between the high school and the middle school, her phone pinged. She pulled it from her back pocket, expecting her mom's reply, but it was from Cooper.

The name Holden made her skin crawl, but curiosity got the better of her, and she opened the text.

Cooper: "Meet me at the park."

Jane tapped out of the screen and swiped right to delete it. As she passed the park, she glanced at the small parking lot. Cooper's car wasn't there, so she forced herself to keep moving, heading further down the street.

Her phone pinged again. Against her better judgement, she opened it.

Cooper: "Turn around and meet me at the park. I need to talk to you."