Part 7 - The Choice - Scene 3 - Saturday

Originally written and posted on written on 4/12/2024 posted on 5/19/2024

Please Note: This first draft is subject to change upon official publication, including the addition of never-before-read scenes. If you enjoyed this chapter, please show your support by liking and following me for more smutty dark romance featuring all the controversial elements readers love—or love to hate.

Scene 3 – Saturday – 4/12/2024

Jane rushed to the door, securing the locks and sliding the chain into place. She'd forgotten it in her panic. How could she have overlooked it? Would it make any difference? Couldn't he just kick the door in? But the notion of having two locks felt better than one.

She dragged a dining room chair across the living room and wedged it under the handle, hoping it would provide an extra barrier if he returned with her house key. Collapsing onto the couch with a heavy sigh, her gaze fell upon Cooper's half-eaten apple on its side. She reached for it, the white flesh already browning. Without hesitation, she took a bite, then another, devouring it in moments.

A laugh escaped her lips. If he couldn't get through the door, she wouldn't need to call for help. The chair would block his entrance. What was his next move? Break a window? She'd call the cops and report a break-in if he dared.

Powering on her cell phone, she noted the battery at 74%, sufficient for the day. Nonetheless, she grabbed her charger, plugging it into an outlet nearby and keeping it within arm's reach.

Clicking through the move channels, she settled on a horror movie called "You're Next," hoping to learn some survival tips in case Cooper returned.