Part 10 - A Love Story - Scene 4 - Tuesday

Originally written and posted on written on 4/22/2024 posted on 5/19/2024

Please Note: This first draft is subject to change upon official publication, including the addition of never-before-read scenes. If you enjoyed this chapter, please show your support by liking and following me for more smutty dark romance featuring all the controversial elements readers love—or love to hate.

Scene 4 – Tuesday – 4/22/2024

The hours at the cabin drifted by slowly. Jane did what she did best: she listened. She absorbed every word Cooper said, eager to know everything about him. When Cooper collapsed on the couch and motioned for Jane to sit, she hesitated by the table before settling across from him on the bed, drawing her legs up and crossing them.

Cooper spoke of his plans after high school, wanting nothing more than to escape their small town and live his life on his terms, not his fathers. He despised his father, and the feeling was mutual, though the hatred hurt more coming from his dad. He told her about the college he planned to attend, where he'd major in business and pre-law. He dreamed of becoming a lawyer, starting his own firm, making a fortune, and traveling the world. Eventually, he wanted to get married, have three kids, and live the white picket fence dream he never had. By the end of his explanation, he admitted that what he feared most was turning into his father and being stuck in a miserable life.

Jane couldn't hold back her smile. Could she picture herself in that life? Was he hinting at wanting that life with her? She didn't know, but she could easily talk herself into wanting it. She made a mental note of the college he mentioned, planning to look it up later.

In the moment, Cooper was flying high, laying out his dreams for her to see. Jane found herself imagining how much her life could improve if she went to a college on the opposite side of the country, away from her parents' constant oversight. She could finally live her life and make her own decisions.

Cooper leaned back against the couch, his arms splayed over the back, his eyes closed. Jane took in how the sunlight fell across his features, making him look genuinely happy. "I just have to make it six more months and I'm free," he mumbled, but a sullen look stole his smile, replacing it with a frown.

Suddenly, he stood and went to the bookcase, holding up the worn copy of The Catcher in the Rye. "Want me to read to you?"

Jane nodded. He motioned her toward the center of bed, then grabbing the sheathed hunting knife before settling back against the headboard. "Lay your head in my lap," he said, patting his thigh. Jane moved closer, positioning herself on her back and looking up at him.

He smiled down at her, his fingers brushing aside her hair before sliding down her cheek and curling around her throat. "Why is it so easy to be with you?" he murmured, his thumb grazing the skin along her jaw.

Jane brough his hand to her mouth, kissing the pad of his thumb before settling it back around her neck.

"Are you ready for round two already?" he asked softly.

Jane nodded.

Cooper nodded. "We have all day for that." His hand cradled the side of her face, holding her to him before flipping to the first page of the book. "If you really want to hear about it, the first thing you'll probably want to know is where I was born, and what my lousy childhood was like, and how my parents were occupied and all before they had me, and all that David Copperfield kind of crap, but I don't feel like going into it, if you want to know the truth."

Jane listened to the story, staring up at the cobwebbed rafters, enjoying the feel of Cooper's thumb grazing her cheek, tracing her jaw, and running over her lips. When it paused on her mouth, she'd purse her lips against it. Once, she surprised him by taking his thumb into her mouth, grazing her teeth along its length before kissing the pad and settling back with a satisfied grin.