Fallout & Findings.

44.Fallout & Findings.

Luna told them what had happened before they got there, Lucius seemed like he was trying to cause a distraction because from what Luna said Lucius was trying to get to the school when they showed up and began turning the tide. McGonagall had been in the ministry for an educational reform conference, when she got a message from Kingsley about the attack. So Lucius must have known the schools defenses were lessened without the Headmistress and the savior at the school. What he wanted with the school, they could hardly guess.

Each of their friends had come to say hello and give them bits and pieces of what they saw too, each of them saying that the masked followers were trying to keep them busy. While they could have just slung around killing curses, they had been herding the fight away from the school and only trying to keep them on their toes defending.

Lucius in Draco's opinion had not thought he and Harry would show up, but he had known that McGonagall wouldn't be there. That meant there was definitely a spy, either within the ministry or within Hogwarts itself. Draco was almost 100% sure that there was a spy and he was about 80% sure they were in Hogwarts. In his opinion it was safer to assume that there were spies in both.

When the night calmed down and the exhaustion set in they met up with Kingsley and McGonagall in her office. Hermione, Blaise, Neville and Pansy all following along looked just as exhausted as he felt and he could literally feel Harry's exhaustion. Only Harry felt more than exhausted he felt shot to the nerves, Draco knew he wasn't ok, he was in a dark place in his head but, right at that moment there was very little he could do without everyone knowing. So, he did what he could do and took Harry's hand, needing the contact as much as he sensed Harry did.

Harry squeezed his hand tightly, as if he didn't or couldn't let go now that Draco was in his grip. It registered to Draco then, what was wrong with Harry was him. Draco had now nearly died twice in the last two weeks, had come too close in Harry's mind. Draco wasn't blind or stupid, he felt Harry's possessiveness and saw that it was born of a sinister place, like Draco's need to conform to what his loved ones expected to win approval. Harry held on to the things he had closely because he had already had so much ripped from him. He was scared to lose anything else, anyone else.

Draco felt strangely humbled and terrified, he was in awe at the fact Harry would choose to care for him this fiercely and it terrified him that he could be a source of so much hurt. That he could be used to hurt Harry. He shuddered at the reminder of Lucius and his test, the slice that perfectly copied itself onto Harry, how close he had got to being the reason Harry died.

His bond with Harry could kill them both. When all this was calmed down Draco really had to find a way to reverse it or fix it because the amazing feeling of being this close to Harry wasn't worth risking Harry's life.

He loved Harry enough to know that he didn't need the bond to love him, and a part of him knew that even if he couldn't feel it himself, Harry's love for him, it would always be there. Draco had a part of him no matter what and Draco had and would keep giving himself to Harry as long as he could. Removing the bond wouldn't change that at all.

Even if it did change things for Harry, Draco would be fine knowing Harry could be free to live, without him as a burden.

They reached the office and ascended the stairs, his mother and Robards were there too. His mother reached them both and hugged him and Harry together. She brushed her hands over the identical wounds and made a sad sound, when she looked him in the eye however, he saw a fire in her eyes. She would stop at nothing to make sure Lucius paid for what he had done to her boys, he often thought that his mother was more than she appeared and when it came to his safety she would endure and do whatever it took.