Chapter Fourteen

You and Kuroo went back to working on the rocking horse after goofing around. The carving the bottom part so that it would actually rock proved to be quite difficult. You were looking forward to creating all the little details that made it look like a horse though.

Kuroo's dad eventually returned and the three of you continued to work until it was getting dark. You still had quite a bit to do on the project when you had finished but that just gave you an excuse to come back after school one day this week.

"Are you coming in to eat?" Kuroo's dad asked you when it had gotten too dark to even try to continue working. Usually after a day of working the three of you ate an insane amount of food.

You nodded. "Sure."

You and Kuroo took a seat at the kitchen table while his dad stepped out onto the back porch to use the barbecue to make burgers. You took your cap off and placed it on the table in front of you, sure that you had the worst kind of hat head.

"You look exhausted." Kuroo stated as he wrapped an arm around you to pull you in closer to his side. You easily rest your head against his shoulder.

"That's cause I am." you answered with a small nod as you closed your eyes for a minute.

Despite working hard outside in the sun all day he still somehow smelt good to you. You could kind of remember someone telling you that if you really liked the smell of another person it was because you were attracted to them. But you didn't remember who said that or if it was even correct.

"Go to sleep early tonight. You did a lot today and we have school again tomorrow." Kuroo said in a soft tone as his hand moved soothingly up and down against your arm. You nodded to his words with your eyes still closed. You were barely even able to keep yourself from falling asleep right there.

It was more often than not that you and Kuroo were teasing each other, but there were moments like this when he would treat you with such care like you were the most important person in his life. These moments were rare and extremely special to you.

When you heard the sliding door open you slowly moved away from Kuroo to sit back up in your seat. You had to blink a few times to readjust your eyes to the light after having them closed for several minutes.

"Made more than enough so I'm hoping you two are hungry." Kuroo's dad said as he placed a plate full of burgers on the table.

"Thank you." you and Kuroo both said as you started to make up your burger with your favourite toppings.

The three of you wasted no time in immediately digging in. None of you had any second thoughts about stuffing your faces, perhaps if you hadn't known them for your whole life you all would have shown a few more table manners but none of you cared enough to do that right now.

"So what's new at school y/n?" Kuroo's dad questioned as he took a bite of his burger.

You finished chewing what you had in your mouth. "One student has been invited to a big gallery for colleges to see. I'm hoping to at least be in the running for that." you answered.

"I didn't know that." Kuroo said in shock as he looked over at you. "That's incredible!" he said as he reached over to pat your back. He then turned to his dad. "Y/n is so talented when it comes to art, you should see some of her stuff!" he bragged about you. You were starting to feel a little embarrassed hearing your friend so openly talking about your talent to his father.

"I know she is." his dad responded. "You should really keep your hopes up girl, there is a good chance that you might be picked!" he added.

For a brief moment you were sad when you thought about how your parents had said the exact opposite thing than Kuroo's dad had. You tried to quickly brush the thought off but it was still lingering at the back of your mind. How was it that this man believed in you that much more than the people who literally gave birth to you? If not even your own parents could believe in you then how much potential could you really actually have?