Chapter Twenty-Six

Kenma didn't look at you until you plopped down on the couch right beside him. Even when he did look at you it was written all over his face how embarrassed he was that you had caught him staring at you from across the room. You really didn't think it was a big deal but Kenma had always had a tendency to hate any sort of attention even from his close friends.

"Who's your friend? I've never seen him before, does he go to our school?" you asked Kenma. You wanted to ease away from the awkwardness of his embarrassment.

"That's Shoyo. He goes to Karasuno and we play volleyball with him. There are a few Karasuno players here that Kuroo invited." Kenma explained. That made sense why there were so many people that Kuroo had been chatting with tonight that you had never seen before in your life. It was easy to forget that the boys had their own friends outside of you.

"I remember you guys going to play against them. It was in Miyagi right? You were complaining all morning about needing to go there." you said, laughing a little. Kenma was a complainer and would hardly ever admit when he actually ended up liking something that he whined about.

"I don't remember complaining that much." Kenma replied with a pout. You laughed because the expression he had was the exact same one he always had when Kuroo would tease him.

"Alright Kenma, sure you didn't." you said as you bumped your shoulder into his.

Kenma's expression softened up at your teasing and he rewarded you with a small smile. His expression changed when he noticed a boy standing across the room doing a little dance to the music.

"He looks like an idiot dancing like that." Kenma stated, watching the very tall grey haired boy.

You laughed. "Nothing wrong with that. It's dorky and cute." you stated.

Kenma instantly looked over at you completely horrified. "Never say that Lev is cute again." he said.

You laughed again. "Okay Kenma." you agreed as you playfully rolled your eyes at him. His soft smile returned for a moment.

Kenma's attention was then quickly stolen by the crowded room, from seated in the corner all the people around the two of you seemed suffocating to you so you could only imagine how Kenma was feeling.

"Wanna go outside for a bit? I could use some fresh air and the music is starting to hurt my head." you asked.

The loud music didn't actually bother you at all and you didn't really need the outdoor air - but you knew Kenma did.

Kenma nodded in relief. You took the lead and pushed your way through the crowd while Kenma followed close behind you. You both made your way out to the front porch. Even outside you could still hear the music from inside. You noticed the cooler with drinks inside it and grabbed a cooler from it. You almost never drank but usually at a party you would steal one just to make you a little more confident to socialize more. You offered one to Kenma but he opted to just take a Dr. Pepper instead.

You and Kenma easily found a seat on the little porch swing on the step. While there were several people hanging out in the backyard, the front yard was almost empty.

"I really do hate this." Kenma admitted once you two were settled on the seat.

You glanced over at him. You knew being at such a big social event like this had put him way out of his comfort zone, yet he still arrived without a complaint... or at least very few complaints considering it was Kenma.

"I think you're amazing for being here." you said. It was the truth. For the boy to show up for his friend like this even though it was probably killing him was incredible. Kenma was the type of friend you would always be thankful to have around.