Chapter Sixteen

"I don't get it! People are so stupid! Ari is amazing, I love that girl but this is not a popularity contest!" Kayo ranted as the two of you walked down the empty school hallway.

You didn't say anything back. You didn't feel like complaining. You lost and whining about it was only going to make you feel pathetic.

"It should never have been made into a competition like that, it isn't right. Ari doesn't even take art that seriously, she is trying to go to school for physics I'm pretty sure and this club is just a little hobby." Kayo continued to complain. "I mean no disrespect to her but you deserve this so much more, you've worked so hard."

"I know but being upset about it isn't going to do anything now." you said simply. You knew later tonight you would curl up and let yourself be a little disappointed but right now all you wanted to do was forget what had happened. "Besides, I don't even know if I had much of a shot to begin with." you added.

Kayo gave you a look that said way too much. "You asked didn't you?" you said. You knew the answer to that question without her even needing to reply. You didn't know how to feel about that, you were a little mad that she didn't just drop it like you had clearly wanted to.

"I'm sorry. I had to know." she immediately apologized.

You gave her a disapproving look. You were angry that she went behind your back and asked about you. Did you even want to know how many votes you had gotten?

"What did she say?" you asked, giving in to your curiosity. You weren't happy with your friend but now that she knew you needed to know.

"She said that you were the one who had come in second." she said, then paused for a moment contemplating if she should continue to talk. "She also said that you were the student she had originally chosen." she decided to add.

One vote. That was it, the person in second had lost by one vote. If you had the confidence to vote for yourself it would have ended as a tie. You were the one that had held yourself back.

You felt more sick than you had before. You were actually better off thinking that you weren't even close to winning than knowing just how close you were.

"Second doesn't get me anything, so I guess it really doesn't matter." you said with a slight shrug. You felt like dying inside though. This would have set you apart from countless others in your college applications next year.

"I'm really sorry, I shouldn't have asked y/n. Please forgive me I promise I'll make it up to you. Ice cream? Movie ticket? New outfit? You name it and it's yours." Kayo replied, it was clear that she felt incredibly guilty for going behind your back like she had.

You couldn't help but grin a little at her offers of making you happy. "It's alright, you're forgiven." you said, you knew she only had your best intentions at heart.

Kayo looked really relieved at your words. "It wasn't right for her to make it into a contest of who is liked the most rather than just choosing based off talent." she said.

"Let's just not talk about it." you replied. You didn't feel like sulking and complaining about how unfair the outcome had been, that would only lead to you feeling worse about it.

Kayo nodded quickly in understanding. "So where do you wanna go? Hang around the school or go home early?" she asked, changing the topic.

You thought for a moment. You didn't particularly want to go home alone since you had the chance to take the train with Kuroo and Kenma.

"Let's go to the boys' practice, I'm sure they are almost done by now." you suggested.

Kayo nodded to your suggestion without any arguments as you two took a turn towards the volleyball gym. At least watching the practice you would be able to forget the whole art gallery and feel okay again.