Chapter Thirty

It took probably thirty seconds for a response to your message to light up your phone screen with a notification.

Kenma: I'll have to sneak you in through the back door if you wanna stay all night

You could feel a little pit in your stomach. You felt like you were asking for a huge favour from the boy. You had never once had a sleepover with Kenma. Even though his parents both liked you, you both knew that they would never approve of a sleepover between the two of you.

But as if to ease your hesitation another message came through.

Kenma: I'm here at the back door when you are ready :]

You smiled at the screen even though your cheeks were still stained by the tears that you had previously been unable to hold back.

You took a few deep breaths of the outside night air before picking yourself up off the step. You moved across your driveway, catching sight of a racoon greedily combing through one of your neighbours garbage's across the street. But you ignored the animal as you moved through the darkness to the fence at the side of Kenma's house. You quickly opened the latch allowing yourself to swiftly disappear into his backyard.

You stuck close to the side of his house before making it to the sliding back door where you saw your friend inside, he spotted you a couple seconds after you.

When you were close enough Kenma slid the door open and you stepped inside, immediately thankful for the heat that accompanied the indoors. After being outside this late at night for so long you were practically shivering.

"My parents are in the front room." Kenma whispered very quietly to you.

You nodded in understanding as he shut the door and locked it again. He was telling you to be quiet so they didn't know you were there.

"Kenma was that you opening the door honey?" you heard Kenma's mom call out from the other room.

"Yeah mom. I thought I saw a cat but was wrong." Kenma answered quickly.

"Oh okay. Be careful though, it could have been a wild animal." his mother immediately answered. "I thought you were in your room playing games. When did you come down here?" she asked.

"I just got down here. I was looking for a snack." Kenma responded.

"There are carrot sticks and peppers in the fridge to munch on." she offered.

You almost broke your quietness by laughing at the face of pure disgust Kenma made at the suggestion of taking the vegetables as a snack. But thankfully you were able to hold in your laughter.

"I'm good. I'm actually not as hungry as I thought to be honest." Kenma said back.

You quickly grabbed his sleeve to get his attention. You didn't want to be rude but you had barely eaten a thing all day and your stomach was starting to really hurt from the lack of food.

'Are you hungry?' Kenma mouthed the question to you silently. You nodded quickly.

"Actually I am going to make something small." Kenma called back the change of plans to his mother.

"Alright just clean up whatever mess you make." the woman called back in response.

"I will." Kenma said.

"Thanks honey. I love you." she replied.

"Love you too." Kenma called back in a mumble. You instantly noticed the light shade of pink now on his cheeks. He had probably found the interaction with his mother embarrassing but you thought it was sweet.