Rune

13 - Rune

Three more attacks against me, or rather my businesses, later, I was so angry that I could hardly think straight.
Another blow against human trafficking failed to materialize, but my drug trade was disrupted, as were the routes of transportation. Which meant that the Lombardos would not give up. They wanted to weaken me. They wanted to hinder my business and reclaim territory by replacing my drugs with theirs.
"Wanker," I snarled and did my last set of sit-ups. My abs were burning like fire and my arms were too from the previous bench press. "Stupid fuckers!"
I really didn't want to get into a fight with another mafia organization, because I knew that a lot of good men would die, a lot of money would be lost and various other problems would arise if things escalated with the Lombardos.
Thanks to my predecessor, I was prepared for all of this and I knew what I had to do and how to act, but still...
Seventy-seven...
Tense, down...
Seventy-eight...
Tense, down...
Seventy-nine...
I was sweating and breathing heavily. But when you train for three hours, you're bound to be drenched in sweat.
I groaned as I tensed one last time when the phone rang.
My club phone.
I sighed, got up and took a huge gulp of water before running from the gym to my kitchen. There were about 12 cell phones in a bowl that I really needed to sort out. And one of them was ringing.
I cursed and fished it out, answering the call.
"Yes?"
"Nox?", I heard someone ask, breathing heavily. "This... this is Kiana... Kiana Lou Silva. Are you... are you at home? Do you have a moment?"
I blinked. "You don't have to tell me your full name. I know who you are, for God's sake," I grumbled, somewhat peeved. Did she really think I didn't know who she was from the first tone? "What's going on?"
"I'm... I'm sorry. I need... Um... could I have the money from yesterday? I need it now... after all."
I was silent. Kiana sounded somehow desperate and the fact that she apologized didn't sound like the unruly thing I would love to fuck out of her mind.
Alarm bells rang. "Where are you?"
"Downstairs in front of your house."
I screwed up my eyes. "What? Fuck, come up. Do you remember how to get to the elevator? Shit, forget it, I'll tell the doorman, he'll let you in."
I hung up and ran to the phone that connected me to the lowest level and thus to the entrance. It tooted once and was already accepted.
"Phil?"
"Yes, Mr. Costello?"
"Let the blonde girl up and give her the code for my penthouse elevator."
"Very well, Mr. Costello."
I hung up here too and then ran barefoot and dressed only in shorts into the kitchen. I pressed the buttons on the coffee machine and as the espresso was running through, the elevator doors slid open.
Kiana ran towards me with quick steps. When she stopped in front of me, she looked at me with big, frightened eyes. Her gaze briefly darted over my body.
"The money, I... I need it right now."
I looked at her and drank my coffee with relish. "Hm."
She stared at me and then looked at her watch. "Please, I don't have time."
"Is that so?" I remarked, raising an eyebrow. "What happened to 'only half a year left and then I'm gone. You'll never see me again'?" I quoted Cal, who had told me everything, of course. "Or my favorite: 'I won't spread my legs for your boss anymore'." And then something like, 'I don't want it. It's like you said, I should stay away from you. It was the last time today. It's better this way,'" I finished my statement calmly.
"That..." She swallowed hard and looked back at her phone. "Listen, that... Cal... he... I. Yes," she began, looking at me. "I said that. But only because Cal said that I should be afraid of you and in other words advised me to stay away from you." Kiana stepped towards me. "I beg you, stop playing games and just give me the money. I... Please, just this once, I'm asking you to take me seriously.«
I looked at her and tilted my head. "I take everything seriously, Sweety. Always. And that's why I'm asking you now where this change of heart comes from?"
"I need the money," she repeated, looking at her cell phone. Her fingers were shaking.
I looked at her, squinting my eyes. What was going on here? Why was she afraid? And why the FUCK had Cal told her to stay away from me? Although... I understood THAT.
I licked my lips. "The five hundred has been in your account for a long time," I said. "But that's not enough, is it? How much more do you need?"
"What?" she asked, surprised. Then she looked at the clock again. "I won't make it to the bank in time," she explained thoughtfully, apparently talking to herself. "Five hundred is more than enough. But I need it in cash. And I need it now."