Kiana

52-Kiana

I sat on the bed, slightly pouting, and let Rune cream my tattoo. Strangely enough, he took the healing process of my tattoo much more seriously than he had always done with his own.
And even though I had just had another incredible orgasm and had seriously squirted into his mouth, I was still angry with him. I already had enough images in my head that I had to deal with, and now I had to deal with the faces of these people too. The girl was just a child. And that's exactly why I hadn't said a word to Rune for almost half an hour.

"You're still angry, huh?" He screwed the ointment on and put it on the bedside table.
I just nodded and put my arms around my breasts. I wanted to demonstrate that he was not allowed to stare at them any longer.
He took a deep breath and shook his head. "This is business, Kiana. Business that finances all of this," he pointed to everything and also to himself, "and makes it what it is. If I break with Marius, I'll have real problems. And I'm talking about problems of gigantic proportions. You just can't ask for that."

I remained silent. Problems? But...

I looked at him after all. "What kind of people are you treating like goods? Did they do something bad? Did they have debts? Are they criminals? How... how do you get to these people?"
While I waited for an answer, I grabbed an oversized T-shirt that I often used as a sleep shirt and pulled it over my head.
"That falls into the category of questions you don't want to know the answer to." Rune watched me get dressed, lighting a cigarette as he did so. He grinned.

I narrowed my eyes slightly and looked at him with annoyance. "You've already given me the answer. Damn it, Rune! These are innocent people that you... I don't know! Take off the street? Kidnap and force them? Can't you just use criminals for that?" I was beside myself. "What if someone kidnapped me and made me a slave? Would you like that?"

"Of course not," my counterpart snorted, half amused, half annoyed. "But it would never come to that. Oh fuck, Kiana, what do you want me to say? That I ask them nicely? Beg? No, it's like you say. Either we kidnap them, or we force them, or we lure them with something. Period. And no," he went on to the other. "It would be much too complicated. Besides, criminals are not as easily influenced as ordinary, poor people. They are much too familiar with the business for that.« He leaned against the bed frame. »You just can't take it to heart. There's a reason why it's called 'merchandise', Kitty Cat. Emotional distance is the key word.«
I looked at Rune and was simply disappointed. Was he always like that?

So cold-hearted towards others? Or did he become that way over the years? Would I become like that too if I were constantly confronted with it?

The girl's face flashed before me again. How frightened and neglected she looked. What will become of her? A slave? A whore?
I could be that girl!
We were poor too.
My father was a drunk and a gambler, my mother had left.
The same could have happened to me.
But now...
I looked directly at Rune again.
I was his girl. No one would dare touch me.
But hadn't I gained a little more power as a result?
"Were you this cold-hearted when you started?" I asked him reproachfully.
He narrowed his eyes and did not hide his anger.
"Cold-hearted?" he asked, flicking the butt past my head and onto the wall, where it fell to the ground in a shower of sparks. "Is that what you think I am? Cold-hearted?" Rune stepped towards me, bringing his face close to mine. "Does the 'big bad wolf' lose its appeal? Huh?" He stared at me, raised his hand and let it hover in front of my throat as if he wanted to squeeze it. "I already told you that I only care about those I care about. The rest I don't care about." His gaze became serious as he said: "I don't know who I was before this, Kiana. But it doesn't matter, because I am who I am. But it's good to know that you're probably having second thoughts now.«
I looked back and forth between his eyes. Why was he angry with me now? I had every right to ask such questions and to have my doubts. I grabbed his hand and squeezed it.