Rune

81-Rune

I blinked.
Everything spun as I opened my eyes. I swallowed several times, but my mouth was dry and the little spit I had tasted foul and bitter.

I opened my lips and let out a weak moan.
"What happened?" I asked, my voice sounding rough and hoarse. As if I hadn't spoken for days. "Where am I?"
"You're in the hospital." Someone kissed the back of my hand. "You're alive, Rune. I'm so glad."
Something beeped.
I tried to look down at myself, but groaned as a biting pain spread. All over.
I breathed in and out. Shallow, because otherwise my chest would tear.
"How bad is it?"
"You mustn't move too much," the same person explained worriedly, rising so that she came into my field of vision. Kiana looked at me with concern. "It's very bad, Rune. You had a lot of bullet wounds, a broken leg, broken ribs and a head injury as well as internal bleeding. You-" Her voice broke off, but Kiana cleared her throat, even though she sounded more frightened now. "You had to be resuscitated three times."
WHAT?!
I straightened up a little and looked at my body. My arm was plastered and put in a sling. My stomach was wrapped in countless bandages, I could feel a plaster on my cheek and three fingers were splinted on my other hand. My leg, which was also in plaster, was also hanging in a loop.
"Fuck," I breathed and slumped back into the pillows. Closing my eyes, I tried to remember something, but there was nothing. "All I remember is that we drove to the meeting place and there was no fucking elevator. After that, everything is gone."
"You forgot everything?" Kiana gently stroked the ends of my hair out of my face. "Rune, you fell from the seventh floor. And ... if it hadn't been for the roof of the store, which cushioned your fall somewhat, you'd be dead now. I ... I ... God, that you would go that far for me and my brother.

I'm really so pissed. But also so happy that you're alive. I was so scared. Roberto is dead, because apparently you managed to kill him before you fell. My brother is doing well so far. He needs to recover more mentally and still has a lot of questions that I haven't been able to answer yet. And Cal is doing well too. You sacrificed yourself for us and you'll never do that again, got it?"
"Hm," I purred tiredly, but then tried to make a joke. "Well then, everything walked to plan, huh?"
"Nothing walked to plan. I prayed to God, told him that I would never contradict you again and that I would do anything you asked, if only he would bring you back. You know I can't do that."
I laughed, but stopped immediately as a hot pain flashed through my every fiber.
"Oh, shit," I coughed, doubled over in pain. The beeping of the equipment grew louder. "Fuck."
Kiana put a hand on my cheek. "Hey, calm down. You really need to take care of yourself now and get better fast."
"Then stop making me laugh." I lifted my own hand, whose fingers were splinted, and placed it on hers. I looked at her. "I love you. I love you so, so much, only ... I think you're on the hose pumping the good painkillers into me." My thoughts were strangely wadded up and I grinned. "You're beautiful, amore."
Okay, the drugs they were giving me here were good.
She blinked a few times, looked down at herself, and took a step aside.
"Sorry." Smiling, she leaned forward. Her lips rested gently on mine, then she looked at me again. "I love you, Rune. I love you too." Once again, Kiana carefully placed her lips on mine. Very carefully, so as not to hurt me. Then she looked at me again. "Are you thirsty? Should I send for your nurse or Giuseppe himself?"
I nodded. "Water."
She left and came back with Giuseppe, who explained everything that had happened to me expertly and to the point.
When he left, I stared at the ceiling. For a long time. So long that my eyes went dry and I had to blink.
"So I was dead, huh? Fuck. That's..." Clenching my eyelids, I tightened my mouth. "I'm sorry, Kitty Cat. I didn't mean to scare you."
"You're alive and that's all that matters. Cal is alive, Louis is alive, I'm alive and Roberto is dead. Don't apologize. Just get well soon and go back to being the ass I fell in love with. But until then, rest up and focus on your recovery."
I grinned and nodded. But as I did, I reached for Kiana's hand. "Stay a little longer. Just until I fall asleep."
"Of course you will. I have to look after you now, my little wolf," she grinned and squeezed my hand playfully.