Kiana

74-Kiana

I pushed my bra a little to the side and pulled out my cell phone. Then I answered it as I spread my legs a little more, just to give Rune a nice view of my panties. I grinned playfully at him and enjoyed his eager gaze between my thighs.
"Hello Louis, I'm really looking forward to your explanation."
"Buonasera Madrina Silva. Come stai?" suddenly came the voice of a strange man instead of Louis.
My eyes widened. I didn't say a word or move. I looked at Rune and my eyes showed signs of strain and fear. My counterpart immediately straightened up and looked at me questioningly and worriedly.
"Sengiora? Are you still there? Or have you lost your tongue?" asked the strange man on the phone.
My finger twitched and I turned the volume up.
"I ... I don't understand Italian." I swallowed and my hand, which I slowly removed from my ear with the cell phone, trembled. "Who are you and ... and why do you have my brother's cell phone?" My eyes flew to Rune.

He froze and looked me in the eye while the speaker chuckled softly, "Isn't it obvious, Madrina Silver?

Your brother is ... well, let's just say not exactly talkative."
Rune clenched his jaw and I saw the muscle in his neck begin to twitch. He motioned for me to keep talking while he pulled out his cell phone and typed a message.
I nodded uncertainly. My voice shook as I did as Rune asked.
"I don't understand. What ... what did you do to my brother? Why?"
"You? Where are your manners?" The fucker laughed. "Look, I'm not going to beat around the bush. It's going to go like this: Your brother, in exchange for your lover's business. The good doctor is safe with us. But be aware that every day your fiancé hesitates, a little bit of that security crumbles and he has to prove his skills as a doctor on himself. Do you understand what I'm saying, madrina?"
Now I grimaced. "Manners?!"

I closed my mouth and pressed my lips together before continuing more calmly. "No, I don't understand. My brother has nothing to do with this! Release him and take me!"
The guy laughed again and Rune stood up and supported himself with his arms on the table. To the right and left of my thighs. He leaned over and whispered in my ear: "Tell him to give you proof that Louis is all right. Say you want to see him."
I nodded and took a deep breath. "I want proof that .... my brother is still alive. I want to talk to him," I demanded awkwardly.
Rune pressed a reassuring kiss to my cheek and nodded as he looked deep into my eyes.
"Well I think-" a photo plopped up. It showed Louis, obviously unconscious, tied to a chair. He was wearing his doctor's coat and his head was resting on his chest. "-As I was saying, your brother is in no condition to speak right now. So, that's the deal. Just get back to me at this number when the Don has decided what his position is worth to him," the man on the phone explained and hung up.
My fiancé cursed loudly and within seconds had both his and my cell phone in his hand. "Cal! Get back here now! Yes, it's important! Just come!"
My breathing was intermittent and I pressed my hand to my chest. "Louis! Oh God! What if he dies! I can't do this" I started sobbing and stared at Rune. "I'm scared. Please save my brother." I looked at him so desperately. If Louis died because of us, I could never forgive myself.

Rune looked at me and told Cal to come here one last time before he hung up.

His breathing was shallow. "I'll try."

*****

Stunned, I sat there staring at nothing.
We had run off together after the call from the stranger. I hadn't had time to say goodbye to Carmen properly either.
Now I was sitting in the penthouse with Rune and Cal standing in front of me discussing things. I only heard half of it and my mind wasn't on the matter.
My brother ...
He was in danger because of me.
It was my fault.
Tears formed in my eyes and rolled down my cheeks.
My fingers clutched at my short skirt and this discussion was starting to get on my nerves.
I lifted my eyes and glared angrily at the two of them. "The most important thing is that we save my brother! He ... He doesn't even know this world. He's innocent!"
They both looked at me and Rune frowned. "What do you think we're fucking talking about?"
I blinked several times. I hadn't been listening for at least 20 minutes.
"I'm sorry," I whispered, wiping my eyes with my sweater sleeve. "How are we going to get him out of this? Can't we trace the number's signal?" I asked naively and uncertainly.
Cal snorted. "You watch too many TV shows, sweetheart. If it were that easy ..."
Rune silenced Cal with a look. Then he looked at me. "I'll think of something, okay? Just ... I need to think."
He walked across the living room towards the office, rubbing his hair.
I looked after Rune and Cal, who followed him into his office.
Was I a burden to him now? After all, this had happened because of me. Because they knew I was his weak spot. My eyes flew to my cell phone on the table in front of me and I stood up abruptly. I couldn't leave it like that. I stomped off in the direction of his office. My hand shot out and I reached for the door handle. But ...
"You're thinking about letting him die, aren't you?" I suddenly heard Cal ask, which made me pause in my movement. The door was ajar, so I could hear what they were discussing without having to actually enter.