Rune

25 - Rune

She wasn't there.
Neither at her place - where I waited every other day, even though I didn't really have the time, since the hut was slowly burning down. Nor at the café or club - where I was either there myself, as in the latter, or waiting outside like an idiot.
Kiana was Cal, who, as he said himself, had only been to the toilet once and then, ran away.
Clever girl.
I breathed heavily as I drove out of the underground parking lot of one of the more remote neighborhoods, where one of my drug warehouses was located.
It wasn't as if I couldn't have found her if I really wanted to. Fuck, with my funds and connections to really unpleasant people, I could even find the Holy Grail.
And I was close to looking for it.
But... Something held me back.
The way she looked at me the day Don ran away.
How she told me she was sorry.
How she had left without turning back to me.
I... liked her. A lot.
And that was a bad thing. For me and for her. Because as Don Costello, it was a death sentence for her if I wasn't really careful.
But so much was happening right now. Could I take the time to protect her so that nothing would happen to her?
"Fuck," I cursed softly and turned the music up a little louder. The strategic attacks were no longer the only thing I had to worry about. The Lombardos were really putting their backs into taking away my power. Although me and Cal and the many others were holding up quite a bit, I noticed that some members of my organization were slowly starting to doubt my leadership - which was dangerous in my world.
They were destabilizing the foundation of my empire and undermining my authority in the criminal underworld.
Sam had hinted at something like this, and even though I knew that I could - for the time being - rely on her, that could change very quickly.
In addition, the other rival, smaller mafia families were now resorting to political intrigue and corruption to exert pressure from the outside. The bastards were slowly managing to bribe or blackmail some high-ranking politicians and law enforcement officers to put an end to my illegal activities, or at least to make it so that I had to pay a lot more to cover them up.
And the threats would escalate on a personal level as rival leaders tried to use Kiana as leverage against me. Her innocence to my world and my damned desire for her was a perfect weapon against me.
In the midst of this chaos, I would have to fight not only for my business, but also for the woman I...
Even in my thoughts, I stopped my words.
Who I what? Loved? In my twisted way?
I wanted to fuck her. Always. But if I was honest, I also missed just talking to her. Teasing her by calling her by the wrong name. Feeling how she looked at me. Looking at Kiana myself when she didn't notice. Kissing her.
"FUCK!" I screamed this time, slamming my hand on the steering wheel at the red light.
I stepped on the gas and continued to grumble to myself as I drove past the hospital where Atilla Kitake was fighting cancer. I decided to take a detour and visit him. It had been a long time and, as I knew from Haru, he was in a bit of a bad way again.
So I parked the car and got out. I walked to the entrance and just before I got there, fate gave me a sign.
Kiana was standing there, smiling and talking to a guy who I recognized as a doctor from his lab coat.
My heart immediately started beating faster.
Was she okay?
Was she sick? Injured?
I took a step when...
Kiana jumped up and put her arms around the guy's neck.
I froze as he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her closer. He grinned, then laughed and kissed her on the head.
What the...
I couldn't understand how I ended up right in front of them, but before I realized it, I had pulled Kiana away from the idiot and put a hand on my gun.
"What the fuck?!"
I stared the doctor down and I knew that my eyes, even through the warm, yellow-tinted sunglasses, were blazing dangerously.
The guy blinked and automatically took a step back. I clenched my teeth as he looked from me to Kiana and then to the spot where my hand was digging into her skin.
"Hey, I don't know who you are, but... Wait, you're Mr. Costello, right?"
I growled and gripped my gun tighter behind my back. One shot and he would never hug Kiana like that again. It would be a good reason to do it.
"Rune," I heard Kiana whisper and I shuddered. I looked at her over the side. Her gaze was on the hand she had grabbed.
She pushed herself back and moved away from me. A stab of pain shot through my chest and I took a shallow breath. Before my eyes darted back to the man. "Who are you? And why the hell are you kissing her?!"
Mine.
Mine.
"I..." The guy looked extremely tense, but when he looked back at Kiana, his eyes widened a little. "That's him?"
Oh, you stupid motherfucker! Yes! I'm him! I growled softly and suddenly felt more like an animal than a man. If we were in a less public place, he would already be dead. That was as sure as the damn amen in church.