Kiana

14 - Kiana

I stared at my reflection in the elevator with tear-filled eyes.
I looked like shit. My hair was a tangled mess, my T-shirt dress had stains from falling down. My face was red and swollen. My eyes were empty and yet so incredibly sad. I looked at this woman in the mirror and... I hated her more than anything else.
And when everything came back up again, even though I had wanted to pull myself together for that brief moment with Nox, I grabbed myself by the throat and wanted to strangle myself.
"I hate you."
I hate you.
I HATE YOU!!!
My hand tightened, but... I couldn't do it, instead the inside of my fist flew against the mirror several times.
I slumped to the floor, holding on to the elevator railing.
I stared at the floor with wide eyes. Tears were welling up again and dripping onto my bare knees.
"Shit!" I sobbed, then bit my lower lip hard.
How could he!
Three years!
Damn it! 3 years for nothing!
I thought... I would finally be able to escape from this damn vicious circle.
I thought that if I gave the whole 5 grand to these bums today, I would be free....
"Can't I just die already?" I sobbed.
I hated myself, my dad and those bastards. I just hated everything and everyone.
I was at my limit.
I've kept my mouth shut for three damn years and paid off everything.
I hated it so much!
The loud sound of the elevator, telling me that we had arrived at the floor, made me jump. I quickly got up, wiped my eyes several times and stepped into the apartment as the doors opened.
It took me a few seconds to calm my voice.
I didn't want to bother Nox with all this any further.
I had already gone too far by showing up here in the first place, and the fact that I was here again was only because of the promise I had made to him.
"Nox... I'm back, just like I promised," I informed him, and my tired eyes searched for him.
Pretend everything is fine for a moment and then get out of here.
He was sitting on the couch, watching TV. One arm on the armrest, a beer in the other, a cigarette between his lips.
"I can see that." His eyes wandered to me and he said dangerously quietly: "And now you talk."
I looked at him in confusion. "What... do you mean, talk?" My hands started to shake again, so I hid them behind my back.
He took a drag on his cigarette and straightened up. Slowly, he reached behind him and pulled a pistol out of his pants. He placed it on the coffee table, the barrel pointing in my direction.
"Sit down. Tell me where you were."
When I saw the gun, my heart started beating faster.
Why did he want to know all of a sudden?!
What was that about?!
My eyes found his amber eyes again and I slowly moved to the armchair next to him. I sat down and swallowed hard.
"I... I was just with my dad. I... I... I," I stuttered, overwhelmed. My eyes returned to the gun. "I'll pay you back the... the money. I swear!"
"Forget about it," Nox snapped darkly, "that fucking money, doll. Nothing could interest me less. The penthouse cost 10.5 grand, my cars are probably worth just as much. Fuck, if I sold just three pairs of my suits, I'd probably get as much money as a normal earner in a whole year. I'm a multimillionaire. I don't give a shit about 5,000. That's a tip for me - and not even a particularly big one.« He leaned forward and slid his finger over the gun. »What I want to know is what you have to do with Johnny and Chris?«
I stared at him for several long seconds. I could only stare at him, trying to understand what he was saying.
Jonny?
Chris?
Debt collectors.
Why... did he know them...
No! The more important question was: how did he know who I was meeting?
As I slowly realized and it sank in. My eyes widened and I stood up abruptly.
"I'm leaving!" I said, completely overwhelmed by everything.
I turned around and practically ran to the elevator.
Let him shoot.
If he hits the mark, at least I'll be rid of all these fucking problems.
I arrived at the elevator and pressed the button incessantly.
Get away quickly.
Just get away.
I heard him pick up the gun from the table and load it. There was a click and he was standing in front of me in a second. He pressed the barrel against the underside of my chin, so that I had to lift my head.
"What's your deal with these guys?" he asked.
Why does he want to know?!
What does he want from me?!
If it has nothing to do with the 5 grand, because he's so rich, why does he want to know?!
I felt around the wall with my hands, looking for something to hold on to, and pressed myself against it. My heart was pounding in my chest and I felt like I was going to throw up.
I couldn't take it anymore.
I looked at Nox. And as I looked at him and saw hostility in his eyes, tears welled up in my eyes.
I was alone.
Alone with all this shit.
"I... I... I owe them money," I started, and tears rolled down my cheeks. "My father... owes them money... he's a gambling addict," I sobbed.
Nox tilted his head and stepped closer. "I thought something like that when you met with your drunk father after the meeting with those sons of bitches." He clenched his teeth and lowered the gun. "How much do you, or rather your father, owe them?"
"What?" I asked. He had actually followed me. "Why did you follow me?" I was still crying and it was actually so unimportant compared to what my father had done.
He laughed silently. "Don't you think that when one of my employees comes to my house and begs me for money that he stupidly refused because of false pride or a childish phase of defiance, I don't worry about it?" He let his hands drop and put the gun away. "You were afraid. And I was just interested in what you were afraid of. And now, tell me, damn it, how much do you owe them?"
He said it so calmly, as if it were normal for him. As if it could happen to anyone. My lower lip was trembling and the moment I told him the sum of 100,000, everything collapsed on me. My legs gave way and I slumped to the floor. I buried my face in my hands and cried loudly.
How on earth was I supposed to pay off such a large sum?
Nox didn't hesitate, crouched down and lifted me up. While I just kept crying in despair, he sat me down on the couch and then went into the kitchen. He took a new beer and drank it before making me a coffee and putting it in front of me.
Standing in front of the sofa, he looked at me, the sobbing thing, and said: "Rune."
I kept wiping away the tears that were welling up in my eyes and then looked up at him hesitantly.
"What?" I asked, sniffing.
"Rune," he repeated. "That's my name. My real name. Rune Costello."
I looked at him for a moment, confused, until I understood.
"What?!", I asked louder. "You gave me a false name? W- why?"
What was that about?! Why wasn't his name Nox? But... hadn't the others called him Nox too?
I didn't understand.
Nox... or Rune, as he apparently really was called, sipped his beer again.
"It's a pseudonym. Like Lady Gaga," he explained. "Rune is my private self. Very few people know my real name, and that's... important."
I wiped away the last of my tears and looked at him.
"I see," I said thoughtfully. Then I leaned forward and took the coffee between my hands, thanking him. The hot cup tried to warm my cold fingers, which didn't quite work.
"And..." I began after taking a sip of coffee. "Why am I allowed to know it now? And why is it important that no one knows the name?"
I looked at him. And this new information distracted me and made me curious with the last bit of energy I had left for today.
He looked at me, moistened his lower lip and drew it into his mouth.
"For what I do, it's easier to be Nox than Rune," he explained vaguely. "Nox is a suit of armor. A person I can wear and take off and pack away when I get home at the end of the day. Most of the time, at least."
I drank the coffee and sighed inwardly. The coffee was so good.
"And now that you've found me in my most miserable situation, you've decided that I'm worth knowing your real name?"
Rune leaned against his wall, opposite the sofa. "There's nothing pathetic about your situation. Or did you gamble away a shitload of money? Do you sit around every day and knock back liter after liter of booze?" He looked at me seriously. "YOU work your ass off for someone who has ridden YOU into the shit. You're not pathetic in this story, but your shitty father." Rune growled. "So don't ever say that about yourself. Your situation is not your fault." He pushed himself away and stepped towards me, standing close in front of me. "If I were you, I would have shot a lot of bullets into a lot of heads. And the first one would have hit your father."
I followed him with my eyes until he was standing in front of me.
What is he talking about?
"I thank you for your words. But... it concerns my family and-". I broke off, it was stupid. He was right, of course. But... "My father needs me. I can't leave him like my mother did," I said seriously and then stood up. But because Nox... no... Rune was a head taller than me, I turned around and climbed onto the couch. Now I was a bit taller than him. "And I'm not going to kill anyone. It seems normal to you to shoot people in the head if you want to get rid of them or don't like them. But not for me, I don't kill people. I..." I stopped, looked him straight in the eye. "I... can do it," I said, as blonde as I was. "I've managed it for the last three years, so I can manage it now too... yes..." I became quieter and quieter until I fell silent.
You could tell that I didn't even believe it myself.
It was hopeless.
I couldn't pay back that amount. It would take me more than a decade.
Rune raised his hands and let them slowly move up my legs until he placed them in the folds where my ass began. Looking up at me, he asked, "Why do you assume that I've already killed someone?" His fingers massaged my butt. "Why do you think it's normal? Because I have a gun?" He laughed. "Anyone with a gun license can legally buy one. I'm just the owner of a club. Several clubs.« He grabbed me, lifted me from the sofa and forced me to put my legs around his waist while he grabbed and held my ass. »Your father is an asshole, Kiana. And when he beat you...«, Rune raised his head and nibbled on my chin. »I would have liked to kill him. You don't strike your daughter. You don't hit women in general. Unless they ask you to.« His tongue traveled down my neck. »Unless they want it.«
I had automatically put my arms around his neck and looked at him excitedly. I didn't want to react to his touch like that anymore.
Why did he have so much power over me?
Today was a terrible day, and yet... I wanted to sleep with him.
I sighed sensually and my eyelashes fluttered. "I don't believe a word of it."
Please, more.
Touch me.
Kiss me.
Take me.
No!
I had other problems.
But... God, I wanted it!
I looked at him again.
I wanted him!
I hungrily placed my lips on his and immediately opened my mouth to let him in.
I moaned into the kiss.
I pressed my center more firmly against his manhood. It hadn't even really begun and yet I was wet.
Rune grinned into the kiss. "You think I'm lying?"
"I don't just think it, I know it," I replied between kisses. Then I pushed myself away from him. "That's... " I breathed heavily. My whole body was screaming for him, but my mind got in the way. "That's not right. I... Cal, he's right. I should stay away from you," I said, but my eyes were staring at his lips.
God, those gold rings on it drove me crazy. My eyes wandered over his tattoos on his face and down to his neck. Slowly, I touched the butterfly directly on his larynx with my fingers. I did the same with the winged panther sitting on a crescent moon, which reached from the side of his neck to behind his ear.
"Go on, no one's stopping you," he said calmly, lifting his head so that I could feel his neck better. "I'll find someone else to pass the time with."
I looked up from his tattoos into his eyes. So he would find someone else? So it was nothing special that he had told me his name?
I was nothing special.
I nodded in understanding. "Of course."
I pushed myself away so that he had to let me down and pointed to the coffee.
"Thanks," I said curtly and walked towards the elevator.
Rune laughed and grabbed me. "Why the accusing tone? Didn't you just say you should go?" He looked down at me. "If it were up to me, I'd probably fuck you so hard all day that you couldn't walk or talk. Every damn day. YOU said you didn't want that." His eyes sparkled at me. "I'm your boss, you're my employee. When we fuck, it's a purely professional affair, right? Or what is it - he pointed back and forth between us - for you?
Yes, what was that between us? Was I interpreting something more than I should and wanted to?
He was my boss. So he only wanted a professional affair. Nothing more, nothing less.
But why did the idea that he could throw me away when he had enough of me hurt?
Actually, I didn't have time for that either. I had to... work.
It would never end.
I would never be free of all this.
A hundred thousand.
I was really stupid.
I realized that for a brief moment I had believed that I was special to him. But we didn't even know each other. It was naive and desperate of me.
He was my boss and that was that.
I freed myself from his grip and put on a smile. It was as fake as everything else in the world.
"Nothing. It's not for me. And I'm going to leave now. I'm tired and I'll probably have to get a third job." I laughed, even though it wasn't funny at all.
"Thank you for this brief moment of interest in me and my problems."
Then I turned away and pressed the elevator button.