Rune

51-Rune

I looked at the bill and didn't know whether to curse or laugh.
"Cal!"
My cousin stuck his head into the office room of the pub I had bought yesterday as a temporary storage space for the 'goods'.
"Padrino?" he asked formally, because three other men were standing outside the door, keeping watch and supervising the delivery from Marius, which was being transported into the secret room.
I rubbed the bridge of my nose. "Do you know where she is?"
"Who?"
I growled. "Who do you think?"
He grinned, but then shrugged. "No idea, Don."
I waved him out, took my cell phone and dialed her number.
"Hey, big bad wolf."
I took a deep breath because she just couldn't stop saying that annoying thing.
Quiet, Rune. Quiet.
You love her.
She loves you.
Be nice.
"Where the hell are you?" Okay, that didn't sound friendly at all.

The witch's spawn has the audacity to giggle. Which only made me snort again. "That's a surprise, but I'm on my way home. Why?"
"Fuck, just come here. I'll send you the address."
I hung up before she could answer and texted her the street address.

> Miller Street, corner of 7th. Barkley's Pub. Hurry. <

It took a good half hour before I heard her talking to Cal and the others.
"Kiana! Jesus, come in!"
She entered the office and walked to Cal, who was standing in the doorway, smiling and holding the door open for her. I squeezed my eyes shut and tried not to let her appearance affect me.
God, these damn shoes!
Kiana walked to the other side of the desk, stood next to me and put her bag on the table.
"What's going on? Has something happened?" I looked at her and pushed the statement of her own account forward a little.
"Explain this to me," I said dangerously quietly. "Why you are transferring money to Mateos family? Explain to me why you are doing it in MY fucking name." I slammed my fist on the table. "And then explain to me why I got a call from Haru asking me if I know a RUNE!"
Kiana looked at the statement and took the note. She skimmed it and looked back at me. Her face contorted in disgust.
"You're checking my account?! Why?" She raised an eyebrow. "And Haru? Why is he calling you right away? I just made a mistake and I cleared it up right away. I really don't understand why he's calling you about it!"
"Your account is no secret to me, since you started working for me." I gritted my teeth. "Do you actually know how important it is that only a damn handful of people know my name?" I asked, growling and banging the table again. "Fuck, Kiana. What was that? What the hell were you doing with Haru anyway? And do you really think that MY tattoo artist won't call if MY girl mentions the name of 'another'? Haru knows what I am. He did this to prove his loyalty to me. Don't blame him for the crap YOU'RE building!" I was seething with suppressed anger. It was bubbling, pulsating and forcing me not to take it out on her. "And then, as if peddling my real name wasn't bad enough, you transfer almost 1,000 to Mateo's wife? IN MY NAME? Are you completely insane?!" I crumpled up the note and threw it across the room. "I'M A FUCKING MAFIA BOSS, NOT A CHARITY ORGANIZATION! SO WHAT WAS THAT ALL ABOUT?!"
Kiana looked at me uncertainly. She even took a step back. "I... I went to Haru's because... because I wanted to surprise you. I'm sorry I misspoke, it wasn't intentional," she explained quietly.
So quietly that some of my anger should have evaporated.
But the opposite happened.
I became even angrier.
"But..." she started again, and now determination flashed in her eyes. Stoic determination that made me see red, because she implied that she saw herself as being in the right. "I don't regret transferring money to the woman. She can't help her husband's betrayal. She has to feed her children! I would do it again and don't let you stop me. Then I'll do it under my name from now on. I don't care! But at least that's one thing that makes me feel like I'm not a bad person, while I see people dying before my eyes!"
That was enough! I stood up abruptly and grabbed Kiana by the arm.

"You think that makes you a good person?" I laughed dirty and dragged her out of the office, pushing her through the bar under Cal's gaze and down into the basement. She protested, but I remained merciless and pulled the stubborn beast along.