Kiana

70-Kiana

> Don't tell me you're going to shoot her in the head. 🙄<

I sent the message and leaned against his desk. The battery-powered vacuum cleaner was still in my hand.
My mother?
Damn it, Louis!

> Thanks Louis for telling mom I'm getting married. Now she's coming over and I really don't feel like it! <

I sent that message too and breathed out loudly and angrily.
How cheerful she sounded on the phone. And she spoke to me as if nothing had ever happened between us. As if she hadn't left us and abandoned us.
My grip on the vacuum cleaner tightened. I remember it as if it were yesterday when she dumped all the responsibility on me and disappeared with her lover.

And Dad...
What if she asked questions?
I massaged my forehead and closed my eyes for a short while. Then I looked at my cell phone. Why wasn't Rune answering me? Confused and worried, I dialed his speed dial and called him. It beeped several times, but no one answered. I tried again. Again, no one answered. Slowly, a sense of dread began to creep over me.

I dropped the vacuum cleaner on the floor and hurried into the living room, where my three chaperones were sitting on the couch watching football. I stood in front of the TV without further ado and looked at the three of them uncertainly.
"I can't reach Nox. Can you try?"
"Don Costello said we should only call him if it's something important," Paolo explained, not even looking up from the TV. "And from what I can tell, it's not urgent if he's not answering his cell phone."
Pino looked at me and nodded in agreement.
"He'll be busy, Madrina," Mike explained, looking at me.
I pursed my lips.
He had been texting me less than five minutes ago! It was impossible that he was suddenly no longer available. I had clearly seen and felt too much in the past few weeks. The intentional car accident alone was still in my bones.
I let out an angry sigh, stamped my foot and went into the bedroom. After slamming the door, I tried to call Rune again.
When again nobody answered, I tried Cal.
"Yes?"
"Cal, I can't get hold of Rune anymore. And don't tell me he's busy. We were writing and suddenly there was no reply. So much has happened in the last few weeks, please don't brush me off now," I begged, pushing aside the thought that he had seen me naked and hanging from the ceiling.
"Um... he might have..." he began, thinking, "He might not want to write anymore? After all, we're talking about Rune here." He laughed softly. "See, I didn't say he was busy."
I stared at myself in the mirror with a look that said, "Are you kidding me?" and replied, "Why are you all so quiet? Am I just going crazy for nothing?"
But my gut feeling tells me... Or am I being deceived by the exhausting conversation with my mother?

"Don't worry. Rune will get back to you when he has time. You know what's going on. Besides, he has someone with him, right?"
"No, just the dogs." I just couldn't shake off this feeling, so I walked to our dressing room and picked out something to wear.

"He left Mike, Paolo and Pino with you and went off alone? What an idiot. Do you know where he went?"
I put the phone on a shelf and turned Cal up loud.
"He said he was at the beach," I replied, taking off my sweatpants and changing into leggings. Then I took off my hoodie and put on a tight, thin sweater with a neckline. I put on a short leather jacket over it and I was ready. I left my hair down. Dressed in all black, I took the phone back.
"Do you know where exactly?" Cal asked, and there was a short silence before he said, "And don't even think about going alone!"
"I don't know. Somewhere on the beach. He didn't send me a location," I said a bit bitchy because he had apparently noticed that I was about to leave. I turned the phone back to normal volume and put the phone to my ear as I walked to the hallway. I put on my sneakers.
"Fuck, you're more trouble than a toddler. Wait, I'll be there in five minutes. Come to the underground car park."
"What?!", I shouted into the phone. "You're the infant!" I shouted back, only realizing then that he had already hung up. "Jerk." I grumbled as I walked to the elevator and pressed the button.