Kiana

76-Kiana

Emotionless, I stood behind the counter and prepared two coffees for my minders.
I know it was crazy that I was standing and working in the café despite the current situation. And Rune wasn't thrilled either and tried to talk me out of it more than once. But when I explained to him that I needed this to calm down, he finally let me go. Of course, only on one condition: that I took my two minders, Paolo and Mike, with me. Cal apparently had enough on his plate because of the upcoming meeting, so they were there for my safety. And Rune was the boss of this huge mafia organization. He had a lot more to do.
I sighed, put both coffees on the tray and walked towards them. With an attempted smile, I set the hot drinks down. "On the house. Sorry you have to be here." I apologized to them and pressed the tray against my body.
"Non c'è problema, madrina."

Mike sighed. "She doesn't speak Italian, Paolo." Nodding, he took the cups from me. "Thank you, madrina."
I grinned. "Hey, I understand a little Italian and I'm studying hard too." I spun around as my boss hit the bell. That was a sign that she had an order ready for me to take to a table.
I looked at my supervisors again. "So my shift ends in two hours. Then we can go."
"Si, Madrina," both Paolo and Mike said at the same time.
I nodded to both of them and turned away. As I walked back to the bar, I looked at my cell phone and read the message from Rune.

RUNE: > Is everything okay? Were there any problems? <

> No, minders no. 1 and 2 are very well-behaved and are watching everything and everyone around me and everything else is quiet. And is everything okay with you?

RUNE: Yes. I've just been reassured that Louis is doing well under the circumstances.<

> You do realize that after all this shit, he wants to know what's going on, right?

I stared at my cell phone.
"Lou, can you please take the order to the couple and then play with your phone?" my boss asked, slightly stressed.
"Sorry," I said in a mumble and put my phone away. I quickly brought the two plates of pancakes and two hot chocolates to the couple. They both smiled briefly at me and thanked me before getting back into the conversation. I took a step back and looked at them.

They looked into each other's eyes in love. Really cute. I turned away, leaned against a cupboard behind the counter and took out my cell phone again.

> Sorry, I had to wait on people for a minute. To be honest, I didn't even think about it. But yes, you're right, he will want to know the truth. But if the Lombardos are gone, do you have any other enemies? Aren't we safe then? <

"Tell me, what are those two broad men doing there all the time? Maybe you should call the police, they've been staring at you the whole time," my boss suddenly said, putting her hand on her hip. Confused, I followed her gaze, which was fixed on Paolo and Mike.
"I'm going to make an announcement to both of them now," she suddenly said and was about to march off. But before she even got around the bar, I stopped her. "No, they're... Um... I know them both, I'm fine. So please calm down."
She blinked, confused. "Well, if that's the case, then fine."
I sighed and looked at my phone, remembering the date. Damn it, today was Tuesday! I had an appointment with Renata tomorrow.

> Rune, I've just remembered that I have an appointment with Renata tomorrow. Should I cancel it?" I wrote to my fiancé and watched my boss to make sure she didn't want to make an announcement to Paolo and Mike after all.

RUNE: > We always have enemies. So no, we're not safe. But safer. And yes, cancel the date. Tomorrow is the meeting <

> All right, I hope she won't be angry with me. <

> And Rune, I'm scared. We're going to get out of this alive tomorrow, right? <

RUNE: > You'll make it out alive and so will your brother. Everything will be fine. <