Kiana

64-Kiana

I was gagging and throwing up in the toilet. Even though Cal had pulled me away, I had seen his head, smelled him and....
It came back up and landed in the toilet.
I breathed out loudly and closed the lid. Tears had gathered in my eyes from the vomiting and I leaned against the cold marble of the bathroom. My legs bent, I rested my arms on my knees and laid my head back.
Although I had been acting tough on the outside, I was panicking inside.
"It's over," I whispered to myself and stared at the ceiling.
After we were brought back, Cal and Rune had taken a beer and discussed. I, on the other hand, had rushed to the bathroom and could no longer keep my stomach contents in me.
It was probably a mixture of stress and disgust.
I took a deep breath and let it out again.
"Kiana?" Rune asked, leaning in the doorway.
I looked at him and then leaned forward to get up. I was very shaky on my feet and held on to the wall.
"I'm fine," I replied without having received a question. With unsteady steps, I made it to the sink and took my toothbrush.
"I'd better not ask if you want to order food too?" He reached for a towel and threw it to me.
I caught it and put it on my shoulder. Then I leaned on the sink with both hands and had to laugh. "You guys are crazy. How can you think about food right now?"
I took the toothpaste and started brushing my teeth. When I was done, I wiped my mouth with the towel.
The Mafia boss shrugged. "I've seen and done worse." He walked to me and watched me. "Are you sure you're okay?"
I turned around and leaned against the sink in my expensive and incredibly hot dress. "I don't think I could handle the Scotch."
Rune laughed, walked closer to me and put his hand on my cheek. He used his thumb to wipe away the smudged mascara under my eyes. "You were brave, Kitty."
I smiled at him. "I wanted you to be proud of me. But I'll be honest with you, I was scared." I laughed shortly before looking at Rune again seriously. "What does a war between two mafia organizations mean? You'll win, right?"
My fiancé smiled slightly. "I noticed. I know you, amore mio." Then his smile disappeared and he changed the subject. "Pizza or Asian?"
I raised my eyebrows slightly. Then I nodded and replied, "Pizza." I kissed Rune on the cheek and walked past him. Out of the bathroom and into the dressing room. I stopped in front of my clothes and thought about what to wear. It was a miracle that this dress was still spotless. Rune followed me, then he clenched his teeth and explained casually, watched by me in the mirror: "You should disappear from the city for a while."
I turned to him in confusion. "What? Why? Don't you want me around anymore?" Insecurity spread. I looked back and forth between his eyes and my heart was beating like crazy.
He swallowed. "It's not that. It's just... It's going to get ugly, Kitty Cat, and I don't want you in the middle of it when it does."
I put my hands on my hips.
"No way! I'll stay by your side. I'll protect you." I blurted out, only realizing afterwards that it was nonsense. How could I protect him? He wanted to get me away so that I wouldn't become a victim of this brutality, and I was probably Run's greatest weakness. I was aware of that, and yet... I wanted to stay by his side! I wanted to be there for him, just as he had always been there for me. I walked up to him and grabbed his suit.
"I'll stay by your side."
"Protect me? God, Kiana," the Mafiosi snorted. He looked at me for a long time, then he released my hand from the fabric, straightened himself and made himself tall. Looking down at me, he said decisively: "There was no question that you should disappear. You will go. I discussed it with Cal and we think it's best. For everyone."
I automatically took a few steps back. I looked back and forth between his eyes. It sounded as if he never wanted to see me again.
I shook my head uncontrollably. "No... No... I'm not going... No..." I looked at him angrily, my hands clenched into fists. "You're talking to Cal about this instead of me?! You can't just decide over my head!" I shouted. It was hurtful that he was pushing me away like that. Where was I supposed to go?!
"I always decide over everyone's head," he remained stubborn, his gaze unyielding.
Are you fucking serious?!
"Not over mine! I'm your fiancée, not one of your people!"
Rune took a step towards me and grabbed me by the throat. "Precisely because you are my fiancée, I decide!"