Kiana

80-Kiana

Totally terrified and with pain in my chest, I tried to keep up with Cal. He kept yelling orders at me and I did what he asked. For the first time, I did exactly what was asked of me. No grumbling, no bitching, no talking back. I silently followed Cal's instructions, wishing I didn't have to hear all those shots.
My head whipped around, I looked towards the doorway that had brought us into the room where Roberto and his men were standing earlier.
No Rune.
Why didn't he follow?

I flinched as shots rang out again.

My eyes flew up to Cal, who was walking to beside me, supporting Louis.
We weren't running, but we were still walking fast.
"What," I started, realizing I was speaking way too quietly. God, I was shaking so much and the pain in my chest. I pressed my hand to it and gritted my teeth.
I'd been shot.
And if I hadn't gotten that vest from Rune, I'd be dead now.
A shiver ran through me. But I pushed the scary thought of my death aside and opened my lips again: "What about Rune?

We have to wait for him," I said louder now and flinched again as shots rang out.
Cal lifted Louis, who kept losing consciousness, onto his shoulder and supported me with his gun hand. "We can't wait," he hissed. "I don't know if Roberto had a backup of men to follow. Rune ... Rune will be here, I'm sure." Cal swallowed. "He told me to get you out. So come on."
I stared at Cal with uncertainty. "What....if he doesn't come?" my eyes drifted to the gun. "Shouldn't...shouldn't I have a gun too? I'm just a drag on you!" I exclaimed and we walked to the bottom of the stairs.
"Just come with me. We have to get out of here," he grumbled, avoiding any answer about Rune. "If you had a gun, I'd only have to worry about you shooting yourself. Come on, two more floors."
"But-" I started and paused as Louis flinched on Cal's arm, causing him to lose his balance. He let go of me and fell down a few steps with my brother in his arms.
Shocked, I looked down at the two of them and quickly closed the distance between us. I squatted down.

"Are you all right? How can I help?" I flinched again as I asked the question. Gunshots and shouting could be heard nearby.
"Yes, I can. I ..." Cal rubbed his hair and then grabbed his face. "What the hell ..."
He wiped the tear away and I stared at him in shock. My heart started beating even faster. Everything hurt, I was exhausted and I wanted to close my eyes and wake up from this nightmare. But ... unfortunately, it wasn't a dream.
"Cal..." I just breathed and took his face in my hands. I looked deep into his eyes and recognized the sadness in them. I didn't understand why at first, until my eyes widened.
Rune.
My head went round, up the stairs and a couple of men could be heard close by. I couldn't recognize their voices. Were they our people or theirs?
But I didn't care, I had to get back up there. I stood up and started moving.
"He's fallen, Kiana," Cal shouted, trying to get me to stop. He gulped and more and more damn tears rolled down his cheeks. "Kiana, they shot him multiple times and he ... fell. Rune's not up there and he's not coming. He ... He's dead."
I stopped and stood there like a fucking ice statue.
Dead? Who? Rune? No....

I laughed desperately.
No. My laughter disappeared and tears welled up in my eyes.

NO!
"YOU'RE LYING!" I shouted at Cal and, like him, my tears came more and more.
He couldn't be dead! That was not possible! That was impossible.

"Rune is not dead! He's up there and I have to help him!" I shouted at him desperately.
My heart just broke in two.
"HE'S not up there! They shot him in the fucking chest before he fell. I saw it!" his cousin yelled back. "Seven floors, Kiana. Even if he could have somehow survived the shot ... Seven fucking floors, Kiana. SEVEN. How could he be alive after a drop like that?"
Eyes wide, I looked down at Cal and Louis. I shook my head uncontrollably.
"No." I said, repeating myself several times. "No." My breathing was intermittent and hurt like hell in my chest. I screwed up my face, bent down and helped Cal up with my brother.