Kiana

86-Kiana

As I looked into my mother's eyes, I could see her familiar jealousy in them. It had always been that way, at least since I hit puberty. She loved it when people thought we were siblings, but she hated it when they said I was a better version of herself. I had to be careful. She probably wouldn't be shy, even over the next few days, about proving to everyone that she was so perfect. She blinked away the spark of jealousy that still burned deep inside her and turned her head to Rune. Thank goodness he had introduced himself to Nox before her. I wouldn't have recommended anything else.

My eyes met my betrothed's as well, and I knew he thought it was hot, much to my chagrin.

Mother-daughter team. Every man's typical dream. It was always portrayed really well in porn, but it didn't exist in the real world. Not with me!
"So, Signora Silva, you do know that the wedding is going to take a while?"
My mother turned back to me. "Yes, Lou, when is your wedding?" she asked me and I knew she was being provocative.

I pushed her away from me and crossed my arms in front of my chest. "It's in six weeks.

So how about you just disappear again and I'll see you at my wedding?"
"My dear little sweet Lou-" Mum started, taking one of my tousled strands of hair between her fingers. "If you hadn't been such a petulant child and just told your mother the exact day, it wouldn't have come to this. So another thing, is your father coming too?" she asked.
I immediately froze. There was silence and I looked to the side.

It was still hard to talk about my father.
"Dad ... isn't coming," I just said and didn't look at her.
"Well, that's lucky and what about Louis?" she continued to ask.
My tension increased. "He might be coming."
"Have you been fighting again? I really thought you two were past that age." She sighed and then turned to Rune. "I'd like to freshen up a bit? Where's the guest room?"
My eyes darted around to her again and I saw her pick up her bag from the counter. My eyes widened. "It's a limited edition from Chanel. How can you afford something like that?" I asked calmly, but with a deadly undertone.
Mum shrugged her shoulders. "Rudolf, who I left your father for, was rich." She looked at me shortly in amazement until she grinned. "That's right, you didn't know that."
What?
"Are you telling me that you lived a life of luxury while I paid off Dad's debts and lived like shit?"
She was completely taking the piss. "So what?

Is your dad's debt any of my business?"
"Um yes! If it concerns your daughter!"
"Lou, no one forced you to do this, if you're that blonde and you're doing this for your father, please, that's your business, not mine. Just be glad the man ran off to Vegas."
I gritted my teeth.
Rune cleared his throat. "Let's get one little thing straight, Amelia," he said, emphasizing her name a little too much. "You're here as a guest of ME, so I'd advise you to be careful." He regarded her, letting some of his authority flare. Tensed up. Made his jaw twitch. "I don't particularly like anyone judging Kiana for struggling to iron out what a boozy father and an absentee mother have done." His gaze turned cold as he nodded toward the hallway. "Third door on the left."
The moment Rune defended me to my mother, I relaxed a little. My mother, on the other hand, had a funny look on her face as she eyed Rune. But instead of saying anything back, she went to her suitcase and smiled charmingly. "Thanks for the tip, Nox."
She emphasized his name too and went into the guest room.
I stood there for a while, staring into the hallway.
"Shouldn't we get married earlier? I'm not going to put up with this for six weeks," I said to Rune and went into the kitchen. I made myself a coffee and rubbed my head.
My fiancé grabbed my cell phone, which was still on the counter, and typed something in.
"I'm looking for a hotel," he explained and then said. "Carmen has written. She's asking if she should go to Renata's today or not? But judging by the dozens of emojis, she'll come no matter what you say."
I took a long sip of coffee and exhaled heavily. "I'm asking you to."
The message from Carmen made me smile. "I totally forgot about the appointment and-" I started, rushing to Rune's office with coffee in hand and returning shortly after. I put the checkbook on the counter. "-You still have to write the check." While I slid the checkbook to him, I took the cell phone from his hand and texted Carmen back: