Rune

71-Rune

I reached the bridge, went to my fiancée, pulled her to her feet, and grabbed Kiana by the throat. "Have you lost your fucking mind? You're walking to? Just like that? When everything is going so gloriously wrong? HOW STUPID ARE YOU?"
Kiana dug her fingers into my hand and looked at me with tears in her eyes. "How did you find me? I turned off my cell phone."
I narrowed my eyes. "Do you really think turning your phone off is enough?" I let go of her and snorted. "The battery needs to be out so I can't find you." I ran my hand through my hair and pulled Kiana towards me. I pressed my lips to hers and pulled her into a merciless kiss. "Do you have any idea how worried I was?"
With swollen lips, she looked at me in shock. Tears welled up in Kiana's eyes.
"I don't like it when you shout at me," she sobbed, wiping her cheeks.
I held her face tightly. "And I hate it when you just run away like a defiant little kid. So you change one thing and I'll change the other."
Now she was pouting.
"But," Kiana began, sniffling, "when I walk to, I feel free and I can think about a lot of things better. I've always done it that way. But have you always shouted at the women you love?"
"I've never loved a woman!" I blurted out. "No one but you."
I hated that she made me say things like that. I just hated it, and yet it was like I had to say certain things to keep from choking on the words. My hand found her hair and I tugged on it, making her bend her head up to me. "Don't ever do that again. Never again. Not when you're alone, understand? With Cal by your side, you can run all you want. With me, too. But never alone again."
It took a moment shortly for Kiana to speak again. "I'm... I'm sorry."
She sounded so soft and exhausted that I could only sigh before I leaned back to her and kissed her. A little more tenderly this time.
"No, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have snapped at you like that. But... It was pretty close, and it was only because Don stepped in that those bastards didn't shoot me."
I rested my forehead on hers. And once again, I said something that was usually very hard for me to say. Me, fucking Rune Costello, apologizing for raising my voice? Cal would pee his pants laughing. I'm sure he would.
"I'll have to think of something. Roberto's starting to overdo it." I broke away from her, sat down on the floor and lit a cigarette. "I'm meeting with Carlos soon to discuss new goods he wants to offer me. Carmen will be there too. Come with me, mi amore."
The fact that her friend was there was just an excuse. I just wanted Kiana to be near me. After today, more than ever.
Hell, Roberto had almost managed to take me out of the game for the second time in a very short time. And now that I had Kiana, I wanted her again.
I licked my lips and played with my rings with my tongue.
I never thought the day would turn out so shitty.
"I'm coming with you," she informed me and sat down next to me. She crossed her legs and then asked, "Can't you just kill the fucker? I'm sure he'll be alone eventually. It's enough. Don didn't have to die." She paused shortly before Kiana added, "Can you handle it?"
"With Don?" I asked, taking a drag from my cigarette. "Sure. He was just a dog."
A lie. Don was MY dog.
And I really liked that dog.
I grinned at the memory of how I'd gotten him because I thought he was a fancy gadget that made a godfather look even more dangerous. But the stupid one had simply won me over with his loyal and silly nature. Sure, he was suspicious of strangers at first, but if he liked them....
Well, he defended me, and now he's dead for it.
I looked at Kiana and realized that this little siren had overwhelmed me with her behavior just as much as the damn dog.
Shaking my head, I took another drag and blew the air out of my nose.
"I'll have him watched, but Roberto Lombardo isn't stupid. And just attacking him would cost me way too many people." I looked at her. "Don't get me wrong, I would send some men to their deaths, I have no problem with that, but finding new and above all trustworthy people is stressful. So I have to wait until he makes a mistake or I can somehow draw him out."
She nodded. Then Kiana looked at Amore and stroked her head. "I really liked Don and Amore, too. But ... just the thought of him..." her voice broke and she wiped her eyes with my sleeve. "Tell me, do you believe in dog heaven?"
I stared at her. And then ... my mouth twitched.
"Good God, Kiana. Really? You're asking ME if I believe in a fucking 'dog heaven'? Me?'" Now I burst out laughing and stood back up. I held out my hand and helped her to her feet. "No, I don't believe that. Dead is dead, Kitty. Now come with me. I want the wound stitched up before we go to Carlos.
"At least you can laugh again," she murmured with slightly red cheeks and followed me with Amore.