Kiana

96-Kiana

I stood there like a statue while Renata took another look at the dress to make sure it fitted perfectly. The hairdresser finished my updo and was putting the tiara on my head. Carmen, who handed me the bouquet and stood in the way of the photographer because she couldn't get enough pictures of me and this dress. And finally, my big brother, who was standing diagonally next to me and looking at me as if he wanted to say so much.

Was I still breathing at all?

Suddenly, the lady who was responsible for my make-up appeared in my field of vision. "No crying, do you understand? Otherwise, no make-up," she said in her Russian accent. She was an old acquaintance of Renata's.

I just nodded.

Could I manage that?

"Please don't tell me you're getting cold feet," Carmen suddenly pleaded. "Rune will cause a bloodbath."

Louis looked at me too. "Only do that if you're sure."

Carmen frowned. "Hey, what the fuck? She's sure." She turned to me. "You are, aren't you?"

Sure?

Well ... yes.

I was sure.

But why was I reacting like this?

Yesterday I had spent such a lovely day with Rune.

At his words, the corners of my mouth twitched upwards and I smiled to myself. He wasn't the man of my dreams, but ... he was the man I loved.

"I'm sure of it," I informed them both, looking at Louis. "I love him, please finally accept that, big brother," I smiled warmly at him.

Louis returned my gaze and then looked at Carmen. He nodded and held his arm out to me. "Come on then."

He smiled and my best friend snapped a few more photos.

"Get away!" she snapped at the photographer, who was only trying to do his job.

I stared at Carmen and sighed. The poor photographer had already been made a fool of by me this morning, telling him to take good pictures and now he had to let himself be snapped at by Carmen.

I took a deep breath and hooked up with Louis. "I'm nervous. Do I look good?" I asked him while everyone else stood aside and we waited for the music.

"Very pretty," Louis said, but the Latina puffed.

"Hot, sexy and therefore exactly what your equally hot and sexy husband likes." She laughed. "If I know him, he'll rip your dress right off your body and you-"

"Oh God, please don't," Cal said, grabbing his girlfriend and pulling her away from me. "Come on now. It's about to start and Rune looks like he wants to shoot half the people. Including your padre and his other business partners. Andiamo."

"But..."

"Carmen, go!"

She huffed discontentedly. "It's all right."

I looked at the two of them and laughed. Typical of them and typical of Rune.

"I love you both," I called to Carmen and Cal and then looked up at my big brother. "I'm ready," I nodded and then looked straight ahead again.

At that same moment, the music started playing and we walked out. The sun was almost touching the horizon and it looked simply breathtaking. The guests stood up and turned round to face us. As we got closer, I saw Rune and behind him the sun, which enveloped everything in a warm light. The priest stood to the side and would only step forward once Louis had handed me over to Rune. I looked at my fiancé and once again I realised how handsome he simply was. He was wearing a black suit today, a black shirt, a black tie and perfectly polished black shoes. His hair was cut shortly and he looked like a husband and a mafia boss at the same time. I watched my fiancé's reaction as we walked towards him.