Always there (Tom)

"Tom, honey, are you almost done?" I ask, hanging out of the doorway. Tom smiles up at me from the grill and says "Almost, love." Smiling back, I walk beside him and he wraps his arm around me before pulling me to his side. "It's kind of a good thing that you work at the diner down the road so you can make good burgers." I say, causing him to chuckle.

He transfers the burger patties onto a plate and places them on the wooden picnic table. "I'll go wake up Claire and Shirley." I say, leaving his side. I walk back into the house and into the kids room where the two girls lay asleep. I first wake Claire as she lays sprawled out in her bed.

"Claire, baby, time to wake up," I say, in a soft voice. Lifting the four old in a sitting position, I watch as she rubs her eyes while her (h/c) hair falls over her face. "You enjoy your nap, baby?" I ask her. Still half asleep, she nods and stands to run out to her daddy.

I smile and walk over to Shirley's crib where the four month old sleeps. I gently pick her up and cradle her to my chest as she slowly wakes up. "Let's go enjoy our Friday night dinner." I say, kissing her soft and peach-fuzzy head. At my actions, she smiles her toothless smile and reaches up to touch my face just like always babies would.

After taking a bottle out of the fridge and warming it, I take Shirley out to the backyard where Tom fixes Claire's plate as she dances on her small playground we built. "Hello again, beautiful," Tom greets, looking up at me. He places Claire's plate down and I smile at him. Holding another plate up, he says "I'll go ahead and fix your plate so you can feed Shirley before she starts to fuss."

Nodding at him, I sit and begin to feed Shirley, the hungry four month old eagerly sucking at the bottle and nearly draining all its contents in only just a few seconds. "You must have been hungry, Shirley." I note. Her big blue eyes stare up at me and I smile down at her.

"Claire, come down and eat, baby." Tom yells towards the playground. Claire quickly runs over and plops down beside me. Grabbing her fork and knife, Claire grins and kicks her legs excitedly like most four year olds are.

Once we all start eating, I notice Tom acting a bit unusual. He wasn't as perky or outgoing as he usually was when eating. Most of the time, he would try to make Claire laugh by making silly faces with his food or making a mess, but this time, nothing. No flicking ketchup at her, no pretending pickle slices are eyes, no nothing. Something's bothering him.

THAT NIGHT
Laying in our bed, Tom wraps his arm around my waist and cuddles me from behind. "Tom, what's wrong?" I ask, slightly worried. "I noticed you were a little upset at dinner."

Behind me, he sighs tiredly. "I wish I could get a better job than what I have," he admits. "I wish that you didn't have to come and pick me up when I get off of work or even take me to work. I want that one day where I'll walk through the door to a nice house, we'll have two cars, Claire and Shirley won't have to share a room, and you won't have to cut coupons."

I smile and turn over towards him. "Tom," I say, placing my hand against his cheek while using my other hand to ruffle his curls; this causes him to smile. "I know that you will get a better job. We still haven't gotten the results about the acting debut and I believe we will get them back with you being able to do acting!" I assure him.

He grins and kisses me on my lips before his arm around my waist tightens as he lays me on my back with him hovering over me. "Oh? Is it one of those kinds of nights?" I ask, teasingly as he starts kissing my neck. "Did my encouraging get you excited?" "Yes..." He growls, biting my neck. An accidental moan slips out and he looks at me, his eyes filled with lust.

THE NEXT MORNING
Cooking breakfast, I flip eggs in the pan one last time before placing them on the plate. I crack two more eggs into the pan and let them cook for a few minutes, quickly leaning over to make toast. Just as I slightly bend over, I feel Tom's hand move my hair from my neck, exposing a love bite he gave me last night. Kissing the slightly red and purple spot, Tom slides his arms around my waist before resting his head on my shoulder.

"Good morning, honey." I greet him, feeling him smile against my skin. "Good morning, love," He greets back. "Did you enjoy last night?" He asks, his voice going low. I smirk. "Well, I know you did." I retort, causing him to slightly laugh. "I know you did too," he tells me. "You fell asleep right after I-"

"Mommy?" Tom instantly stops mid-sentence, causing us to turn towards Claire in the small kitchen archway. I smile at her messy golden blonde hair and wrinkled pink pajamas before greeting her. "Good morning, sweet heart. Did you retrieve the mail?" I ask.

She quickly shakes her head before running into the living room. "That was close," I mutter, Tom chuckling. "Maybe you should wait to say those things in the bedroom." I suggest. Tom laughs again before heading to the dining table and  sitting down. "Now, where's the fun in that?" He questions slyly, picking up the papers to read.

I shake my head at the counter with a smirk before pouring him a cup of tea. Handing him the mug, he smiles and thanks me, just in time for Claire to come running back in with the mail in hand. Handing it to Tom, he smiles and ruffles her hair. "Thank you, munchkin." He says, causing Claire to smile at the nickname.

Leaning back against the counter, I can't help but smile as I watch my husband open mail with Claire beside him, watching everything he's doing. Even though Shirly is still asleep in her crib, I still can't help but thank God for the family I have. I couldn't ask for anything better.

It isn't until Tom opens a yellow envelope and pulls out a long letter that I see his face become concerned concerned. "Tom? Everything okay?" I ask, also becoming concerned. This only lasts a few moments though as Tom quickly breaks into a smile and jumps up from his chair.

"I got the job!" He yells. Instantly, I grin and squeal. "Yay!" I tell, running to the dining. Tom quickly takes the chance to immediately hug me tight before Claire jumps down from her seat to join us. "Thank you so much, (Y/n)." He tells me, almost in a whisper. "For what?" I inquire, taking my face away from his shoulder to look at him. He smiles at me and kisses me.

"For being there when I needed you most."