5

"In youth, you'd lay, awake at night and scheme."

               -Warriors, Imagine Dragons

I remove my staff from my back sheath and point it towards the door, Sam and the woman from cave do the same with their guns and we wait for to let us in.

Soon enough some random employee opens the door, clearly shocked to see us.

"Hi there," I smile and tilt my head to the side. "Excuse us." I put my staff to his throat then flick it to the side.

The man nervously puts his hands up and backs away to the side.

We get to the control panels and I knock out the other two technicians with a simple knock to the head.

I look at Steve and motion to the mic. "It's all your's captain."

He clears his throat and leans on the table closer to mic. "Attention, all S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, this is Steve Rogers. You've heard a lot about me over the last few days. Some of you were even ordered to hunt me down."

I look away, feeling weird being one of those people.

"But I think it's time you know the truth. S.H.I.E.L.D. is not what we thought it was. It's been taken over by Hydra. Alexander Pierce is their leader. The Strike and Insight crew are Hydra as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right next to you."

Again, I feel that rush of guilt. I almost wonder if part of this is directed to me.

"They almost have what they want. Absolute control. They shot Nick Fury. And it won't end there. If you launch those helicarriers today, Hydra will be able to kill anyone who stands in their way. Unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot. But the price of freedom is high. And it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if i'm the only one, so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not."

"Did you write that down first, or was it off the top of your head?" Sam asks him.

I stride to the window and peer at the lake, which has started to open three different gaps.

"It didn't work." I grumble. I look down at my belt and swipe my mask from it, strapping it snuggly over my face.

I bring my staff down on the window, making an x scratched in. I tightly grip it with both hands and plunge it straight forward, making the glass shatter everywhere.

I turn around to look at Sam and Steve. "See you down there." I say before letting myself fall backwards.

We weren't that high up so the impact was nothing, my feet slammed into the concrete, making it crack a bit.

I look back up and Sam and Steve have followed. I start sprinting as fast as I can towards the closest gap in the ground.

I leap down, making sure to duck and roll when I hit the ground.

I stop and look behind me, Steve jumps down as well, landing on his shield for support and sprints over to me.

Once he catches up we sprint in sync, dogging behind some large crates when people start shooting at us. Steve protects us with his shield until we're completely across and out of view.

I give him a nod to let him know I'm okay and he jumps over the crates. I leap up as well, landing in a crouch. Steve is knocking out one of the soldiers with his shield and doesn't notice the one behind him getting ready to shoot.

But I'm quicker.

I grab a dagger from my boot, letting it fly from my hand. Nudging itself perfectly in his neck.