46

"It's just like salt put on a wound, every word keeps cutting through."

               -Say Anything, Ashley Nite

Once we all had settled in, Tony brought in the man they called Ross, who was apparently Secretary of State. He was a bit older with some gray hair and a short mustache. He didn't look to important from my point of view, but apparently his job is very important.

"Five years ago," He started.

Oh great, I thought, He's that guy.

"I had a heart attack, and dropped right in the middle of my backswing." He said pretending to golf.

"Turned out it was the best round of my life because after thirteen hours of surgery and a triple bypass, I found something forty years in the army had never taught me. Perspective."

He paused for a moment before continuing.

"The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us...... Protected us..... Risked your lives..... But while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some... Who would prefer the word 'vigilantes'."

"And what term would you prefer Mr. Secretary Man?" I asked annoyed.

"How about 'dangerous'" He fired back. "What would you call a group of U.S. based, enhanced individuals, who routinely ignore sovereign borders, and inflict their will, where ever they choose, and who, frankly seem unconcerned about what they leave behind."

I took that as my cue to be silent. He stepped off to the side, so we could all see the t.v. screen. He used the remote in his hand to start playing footage from the past.

"New York."

The footage played. Iron Man flying through Manhattan with a giant Chitari monster on his tail. People running and screaming, guns going off. Hulk jumping from building to building, and debris falling down on the camera.

"Washington D.C." Ross said, changing the footage.

There were shots of rapid fire while the three helicarriers shot at each other. The SHIELD building burning to a crisp. Terrified people screaming as the first helicarrier fell, sending a large wave over them.

My heart dropped to the floor, and it was af everyone heard it. I almost started to tear up at the sight of that traumatic day. That sadness was almost instantly replaced with anger. Anger towards this stupid man for bringing these memories back to me.

"Sokovia." He said changing the footage again.

This time it was footage of rocks and building falling on people, all while Ultron's army terrorized the citizens of Sokovia.

I had controlled my anger with the footage of Washington, but this was different. Wanda lost her twin that day in Sokovia. That was just cruel. I could see the discomfort in Wanda's eyes whilst she look away from her destroyed home.

Steve glanced at her and then over to me. He could see the anger in my eyes and knew I wouldn't stand for it. I reluctantly made eye contact with him and his were pleading with me. I knew he meant for me to stay calm, but it was killing me.

Ross changed the footage again, so I didn't have a chance to do anything. "Lagos."

This was the one I missed, but I'd already seen this footage. There were bloody injured people being dragged from the burning hospital. Dust in the air, and sirens wailing everywhere. The last image was that of a body. A woman. Lying in the street, covered in dirt. Dead.

Wanda once again looked away from the screen, even more upset this time. She didn't mean it, that was an accident. She saved my brother. She doesn't deserve this. That's where I drew the line.