18

"Take me to church. I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies. I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife."

               - Take Me To Church, Hozier

"I understand you have mixed feeling about S.H.I.E.L.D. but let me assure you, you have nothing to worry about. We're not Hydra." The agent says to me as we walk through security.

I peek inside her mind and stop walking. "You're not just an agent are you?" I smirk.

"No, you're like me, Daisy." I smile.

She stares at me in awe. "H-How do you know that name?"

Same way I know you're having doubts about S.H.I.E.L.D., you want to protect the inhumans.

"I want to protect everyone." She insists.

"Ms. Rogers," A man interrupts, greeting me. "It's an honor to have your assistance."

I narrow my eyes at him and fold my arms. "You're supposed to be dead, Phil Coulson."

"Wow, Fury wasn't exaggerating about your abilities." He sighs. "How do you know about that?'

"My brother lets me go memory shopping in his head. The Avengers think you're dead." I say unmoving.

"And we need to keep it that way for now. We have more pressing issues."

"Wait, you're Captain America's sister?" Daisy says excitedly.

"Yes, Daisy." I sigh rolling my eyes.

"It's Skye actually."

I'm a bit puzzled by this girl but I don't have time for this and I turn back to Coulson. "Fury has appointed me your bodyguard for now, I'm not to leave your side."

"Yes, I'm well aware. Skye and her friend will go ahead and we will follow tomorrow."

As if on cue, a blonde haired man walks in and stays fairly close to Skye.

"How'd it go?" Skye asks him.

"The indexing? They just asked a lot of questions." He says, clearly annoyed. "But, I'm sure you guys already have my blood from when I was out, right?"

"It's protocol." Coulson smiles trying to be friendly.

I understand why this guy is upset, I would raise hell if someone tried to take my blood. Since it is currently laced with the super-soldier serum.

"Hydra said the same thing." He says staring down Coulson.

"Hmm, I like you already." I shrug.

"I know you've been through a lot but you can trust us. You'll see." Coulson says.

+

Skye and her friend left and now I'm stuck in Coulson's office with a handful of other high level operatives of S.H.I.E.L.D. It's taking longer than I'd like and most of what they're talking about is how the plan to approach.

It's a little boring to be honest. It's not as if I don't sympathise with the Inhumans. I just don't have time to care about other people right now. I'm gonna do my job and get back to my real mission.

"Now, I'll go in first. Alone, unarmed with Ms. Rogers." Coulson says motioning to me.

"You shouldn't be the one going in." Gonzales argues.

"Care to elaborate." Coulson says taken back a bit.

"You're too close to this. Skye's like a daughter to you, and her mother is these people's leader."

"I'm banking on that personal connection to get everyone through this safely-"

"You shouldn't." Gonzales cuts him off. "This is one of the greatest threats S.H.I.E.L.D.'s ever faced.

"I agree." Another woman whose name I don't know says. I'm kinda getting the sense that most people here don't trust Coulson and just want the inhumans out of the way. "A whole race of people with powers."

"And you've proven time and again that you're not objective when it comes to Skye."

"That's your opinion not fact." A blonde woman about my age says. It would be more helpful to learn everyone's names, but I don't care to.

"You wanna talk facts. Ultron was created because people were too close to Tony Stark. They were blinded by his charm. They trusted him. Never even thought to look at what he was working on. And the Avengers - They let one man do whatever he wanted, and the world was almost destroyed for it."

"I'm just gonna say," I speak stepping forward. "I don't know any of you, but I agree with Gonzales." I have to force the words out. "And to be honest, I don't really like him."

"Speaking of." Gonzales clears his throat and turns around in his chair to face me. "I don't like the threat you pose, being here. But, I also don't like the disadvantage we're at without you with us. Can I put my faith in you, that you'll separate your feelings for the inhumans and do your job?"

"Of course. I've never failed a mission before." That actually was kind of a lie, I never did kill Steve and Natasha. Not that that was technically a failure. "I'm perfectly capable of being impartial."

"Good." He nods and turns back around.

"Okay then," Coulson sighs. "As director I'll quarterback the mission from here. Gonzales, Weaver and Alex, you're on QJ36."

AN: I know this chapter is short, but I didn't wanna make it too long either.