28

"I want to hide the truth, I want to shelter you. But with the beast inside, there's nowhere we can hide."

               - Demons, Imagine Dragons

As much as I hated it, I was past due a check in with Steve. Meaning I had to leave Bucky and somehow convince Steve that I was fine and hadn't found anything.

We were originally gonna stay in Beijing longer but I can't risk anyone following me back here. I did my best to erase any trace of us ever being there and I sent him on his own to Mongolia where I'd meet up with him in a few days.

It was weird. I hated being so close to home. It wasn't just the higher risk of being seen. It was our home. We left there seventy-five years ago and everything was..... Relatively okay. We were together and mostly sane. Decades later we found our way back and tried to kill Steve, and nearly the entire world in the process.

It's just easier being away.

He was beyond worried about me leaving, for reasons I will never understand. It's not like I can't take care of myself. The only thing I'm worried about is keeping our secret from Steve.

"Everything will be fine. I'll see you in a few days." I promise him.

He nods and I peck his cheek. "What do think will happen, if he finds out you lied?"

"He'd understand, I'm doing this to protect everyone." I pause and reach up to cup his face. "I love you."

He smiles and his thumb runs over my hand. "I love you, too."

AN: I know this is short but I'm gonna update again, either today or tomorrow morning. I've been slowing my updates due to my new job I've been so exhausted.