33

"Fighting back, I'm fighting back the truth. Eye's like yours can't look away. But you can't stop DNA."

               - DNA, Lia Marie Johnson

These new powers were actually kind of nice. I could feel the vibrations all around me, every little movement. Super strength was always my go to power but this one is different. I feel like I have a better sense of control.

As for my current problem I've been here a day and Jemma keeps finding excuses for me to stay. Test after test, it's all for my baby's health, she says. I know her better than that. If she thinks that I'm gonna give birth here so she can index my baby, she's got another thing coming.

"How are you feeling today?" She asks casually. Walking into the room with a clipboard."

"Peachy." I state. "Any idea when this thing, is coming out of me."

"The 'fetus'," She clarifies staring daggers at me. "Is developing at a phenomenal rate. If it continues steadily, the baby will be ready to come out in two weeks, give or take." She estimates.

"What's the estimate on when I can leave." I demand more forcefully.

"Are you sure that's a good idea? You can't go to a hospital to give birth, and I doubt any doctor on the planet could be more helpful in this kind of situat-" She stutters so I finally cut her off.

"On an unrelated note, what's the estimate that it will have powers." I say a bit less friendly.

"I'm 99.9% sure," She sighs, defeated. "From what I can tell your powers are locked into your genetic code."

"So that's the plan. Keep me here and put it on your death sentence of a list!" I accuse her. Anger coursing through my body.

"We do it to protect-"

"Who exactly are you protecting in this scenario?" She doesn't respond and the silence is unbearable.

I rip the iv from my arm. I throw my legs over the bed and grab my jacket from the chair beside me. "I'm leaving. Try to stop me and you'll regret it."

She gets in front of the door with her hands raised in the air. "Please don't go." She pleads with me.

I raise my hand towards her face and stop. "Move." I say through my teeth.

"If you go you could die!" She tries to reason.

"I don't care!" I spit back at her. "Last chance." I warn.

"Okay fine! I won't index the baby, I swear!" She says scared. "Just let me keep you alive, and then you can leave. I promise."

I slowly lower my arm. Sitting down on the edge of the bed. "You don't understand."

I run my fingers through my hair. "This baby cannot exist anywhere. If anyone else knew of it's existence, they'd come for it. I can't let that happen."

She walks over and sits down next to me. "You have my word. I would never do anything to harm you or your baby."

"Thank you. I'll stay."

She looks relieved but her face quickly changes back to concern. "There's something else..." She pauses.

"What is it? There isn't anything wrong is there?"

"No, no." She assures me. "It's about your blood."

"I ran some more tests. In order for your DNA to be the way it is, coded with powers. It had to be there since birth. Meaning, your parent's had to be powered as well."

"But, that's impossible. Neither of my parent's had powers." I argue. Her math is obviously wrong. I spent what short time I had with my parents, poking around their minds. If they had powers, I would have known.

"Exactly, I don't think your parents were who they say they were. It's impossible for you to be related to-"

"You're wrong!" I snap.

She looks slightly scared and surprised by my tone but doesn't speak. "I should get some rest, please leave."

Her face says that she wants to say something more, but doesn't. I look away from her, and feel the bed move from her standing up.

Once I hear the door click shut I lay back down on the bed. Her theory is completely crazy. There's no way my parents weren't my parents. There's no possible way in any universe that Steve isn't my brother. 

AN: Do you think it's gonna be a boy or a girl??