59

"Waiting on that morning sun, Soldier keep on marching on."

               - Soldier, Fleurie

"You don't have to do this." I said sullenly.

I sat with him, holding his hand. Why did this have to be so hard?

"I do." He said squeezing my hand. "It's only for a little while, till they figure out how to get this stuff out of my head."

"What makes you think I shouldn't do this with you?" I asked.

"Because you can fight it, I can't." He says.

"So, you'll be asleep, and I'll be alone." I said disappointed.

"I'm sorry." He sighs, wrapping his arm around my shoulder. "Just promise me you'll still be around when I wake up?" I rested my head on his shoulder.

"Where else would I be?" I laughed.

Despite my attempts to be okay with this, I wasn't. I can't. I don't want us to end like this. There's no guarantee the doctors will ever find a cure, but if I have to wait for another hundred years to pass, I will.

"I love you," He said staring down at me. He lifted his hand up to brush my hair with his fingers. "And when I wake up, I'm gonna marry you, then we'll ride off into the sunset."

I smiled. I smiled because It was a nice thought, even if I truly believed we'd never get there.

"That sounds lovely." I said.

After a brief conversation with Steve, Bucky went into cryo. I couldn't explain how sad it made me. Then I realized It was just Steve and I.

"I guess that's it." I mumbled. I left the room, and went out into the hall.

"Alex, wait-" Steve's voice came running down the hall to me. "I'm sorry-"

"No." I cut him off. "You have nothing to be sorry for. All of this happened because of me. I lied to you, I tore your team apart, it's my fault Grayson got away, it's my fault Bucky's in a freezer. All of it, it's on me. I never meant for any of this to happen."

"I know-"

"Just listen. I promised you I'd tell you everything."

"Alex." A different voice came from down the hall.

I turned around, Clint was back. Steve had broken him out of jail, but he'd left to do something for me. With him was James and Sarah. They still looked to be about seven or eight. I turned back to

"I told you I was protecting Bucky, but that wasn't true. I was protecting them, too." I said looking back at the twins.

"Who..." Steve started to say but stopped.

I motioned for them to come to me, and they eagerly ran down the hall. I knelt down and took them into my arms.

"Mommy!" Sarah giggled.

"Hi, sweetie." I smiled. "This is you Uncle Steve," I said pointing to him. "He's gonna keep you guys safe."

"But, you can keep us safe." James whined.

"It's just for a little while. I'll be back before you know it." I smiled.

I stood up and looked back to Steve. "I know it's a lot to ask-"

"I'll protect them, with my life. I swear." He nodded without question.

"Grayson's still out there. And he's gonna be coming for me, which means I have to get as far away from here as possible."

"Be careful." He said, placing his hand on my shoulder.

"I will." I replied, then pulled him in for a hug.

Once we let go, I took one last look at the twins, and walked right past them. I can't be who they need right now. All I can do is trust Steve to raise them right. I almost made it out of the Wakandan building, without any more chit chat.

"Ms. Rogers." T'Challa spoke from behind me. "If I could just have a moment?"

"Sure." I said walking back. "What is it."

"I didn't get the chance to thank you."

"For what?" I asked.

"If it hadn't been for you, I would've certainly killed the wrong man. An innocent man."

"Yea well, it didn't make much of a difference." I shrugged, I tried to leave again but he wasn't finished.

"I have something for you." He said extending his arm out. In it, was a sword. Black, and sleek looking.

"I understand you don't have your usual Vibranium weapon, so I was hoping this would be a good replacement." He nodded genuinely.

I hesitantly took it from his hands. It was light, like my staff, but it would take time to get use to. I outstretched my free hand to him.

"Thank you." I nodded.

He smiled, and shook my hand. He would be a good ally to have, all things considered. But, for now I might have to just watch my own back.

+

So that's a wrap on Civil War. This is all I did today....

I'll try to update again tomorrow, but I gotta rest my fingers first ;P 

Snek pek of Alex's new sword

\ Peace Bitches \