#27

The air became heavier all of a sudden.

My throat constricted, fighting with the urge to run away before I could mess up.

''Did you finish the book?'' Tom asked, seeing that I wasn't answering.

How can he act so oblivious.

Like if nothing happened.

He was trying to make me talk.

He wanted to know what i was thinking?

I looked up at him, blankly.

After the awkward goodbye we shared the last time we saw each other, all he could ask was about the damn book?

Tom stared back at me with pleading eyes.

But I just shook my head, in response.

I was too overwhelmed, for being there and knowing that I must spend time with Tom, was too much for me.

Tom sighed and nodded.

''We're ready'' announced the rest of the group, interrupting the awkward silence between Tom and I.

''Very well, time to work!'' Tom cheered and rubbed his hands.

Tom opened his arm for me, signing me to walk with them.

The team walked out of the tent and headed to a little school near us.

We entered and kids gathered around us.

''Nice to see you again!'' Tom said to the kids. A little girl hugged his leg.

I couldn't help but smile when to Tom grabbed the girl in his arms.

Tom looked at me and smiled happily, with the child in his arm.

And forgetting everything ylthat happened before this moment, I smiled back widely at Tom.

''Do you wanna meet my friends?'' Tom asked to the little girl and she nodded, showing her bright smile.

And as fast as I smiled, my smile faded again, coming back to reality.

''See? We are going to spend a few days here with you, are you happy?'' Tom asked to the girl, whom nodded and smiled.

''This is Makena, she's 7 years old and she's in first grade'' announced Tom.

''This is my team, she's Sky-" Tom started to say but stopped half the sentence.

I knew why he stopped, I knew that Tom was about to introduce me as an old friend, out of habit, and that could cause people to get curious.

''...Skylar'' I finished and held my hand to Makena. ''Nice to meet you'' I said.

''She's the prettiest'' mumbled Makena and Tom chuckled, the three girls of the team scowled but laughed immediately.

''Well, u-uh'' Tom stuttered, awkwardly, and then he leaned closer to Makena's ear and whispered 'yes she is'.

I blushed, I could hear him; I was too close from them.

Makena giggled and shook my hand.

''I think you are the prettiest here'' I said to the little girl, with brown hair, brown skin, brown hair and the happiest and brightest smile I have ever seen.

''I think we can all agree with that" Tom nodded.

''Wanna see my drawing?'' a little girl said, tugging my elbow.

''Of course, what are you drawing?'' I asked, kneeling next to the girl, while Tom introduced the rest of the team to Makena.

I glanced at Tom, just in time to see that Tom was looking at me.