#39

It was hard to fall sleep.

The air was heavy, the night was cold.

He kept rolling over his bed over and over again.

The next morning, it felt like if something really bad happened.

Maybe it was just because he lost the flight.

Or because his body was sore, for the lack of sleep.

"Everything ready, Sir?" The chauffeur asked.

"Yes, just one more thing" he said and grabbed the tiny stuffed toy, with an exaggerated big Mexican hat over his head.

He locked the toy to his handbag and headed outside the fresh and rainy morning from London.

Tom fixed the grey scarf around his neck and checked the watch on his pulse.

The morning traffic was terrific and he was pretty sure he was going to be late for the flight.

That's why he wanted to fly at night.

"That's why I always am one step ahead for this situation" the man behind the wheel said.

Tom smiled as the man turned around a corner, to avoid the central avenue.

His phone rings and he takes a deep breath, knowing who's calling and why.

"Luke" he greeted. "Good morning"

"Morning, Tom, are you on the airport already?" He asks.

"Uh, I'm afraid not" he frowns.

Here comes the lectures. He says to himself.

"Are you out of your mind?" Luke squealed. "You should have been in the plane right now!" He continued.

"What were you doing?" Luke asked.

"Pretty much sleeping" Tom said.

"Sleeping!" Luke hissed, desperately.

"I'm already there, don't worry" Tom said, calmly.

"I have to go, I'll check up on you later" Luke said and hung up quickly.

"Have a nice day you too" Tom mumbled and placed the phone on his pocket again.

As expected, he was almost losing the flight with only 10 minutes left.

"Thanks, mate, see you soon!" Tom waved at the man and ran inside the building.

This should be a normal event, he thought.

But deep inside, he was doubtful about what could come ahead.

Nothing happened, he says repeatedly.

It doesn't mean anything.

Focus! He hissed.

"Sir..."

I have a lot of things to do in New York, a lot of things to say.

I'm not waiting for anything to happen.

"Sir..."

"Yes?"

"Sir, your ticket, please " the girl said, patiently.

At least this cold and thin rain cleared my mind... a little.

I'm going to New York and I will do my best to fix this mistake.

And by doing my best, I mean doing nothing, just try to take my distance.

She should be in California by now and i know she's smart enough to stay as far as she can from me.