Lion Keeper DM x JD

2009- HU Lion Keeper AU-

I'm sitting in the playroom with one of the cubs lying across my legs. I have been working here at Los Angeles Zoo and Botanical Gardens as a big cat keeper for a few years now but I am the youngest in the team. I love being able to play with the cubs here. I only get to do this with the cubs because they get abandoned by their mum at some point. The cub I was playing with was abandoned not long after he was born. "Why am I surprised you're in here?" Chris asks when he walks into the playroom. I love the animals that we look after here and it was always my dream besides being a musician to be a big cat keeper. I did attempt to be a musician and it didn't quite work out the way I was expecting it too and I found out that it was too stressful and I had to throw in the towel.

"I love spending time with the cubs," I reply. The little cub on my lap rolls over and then stretches while he stays fast asleep. It was adorable because he was terrified of us when he first opened his eyes and now he recognizes who is who and he goes to whom he trusts. "There is a guy on the keeper for a day program so enjoy the last few minutes of peace," he tells me. Part of the keeper for a day is about an half an hour where they come to the playroom and meet the cubs. They will always come to see the baby animals that we have here. It is one of the things which appeals to people when they want to be a keeper. They love the little cubs because they look so cute. Well, all cubs are cute until they grow up to be big cuties that can rip you to shreds.

I think it was ten minutes after Chris had left Amy walked in. The guy behind her who is being keeper for the day was a lot different then I was expecting. He has a lot of tattoos and he was one of those people who have gauges and plugs in his ears. "Here is Danny; he is the youngest in our big cat team. The cubs love him just as much as we do as you can see," she tells him. I smile at the guy and he smiles back at me. Kiro, the cub on my lap rolled over again so he is back in the position he was in before. "Hey Danny, I'm Jorel," the new guy says. I know he is only working for the day but I hoped he would stick around or meet up later. He looks kind of hot and I knew we would get along straight away. Well, I hope he would get along with me. He seems like he would be a really nice guy and a good friend.

"Hey Jorel, what made you think about being a keeper for a day?" I ask him. He is really different to other guys we have had here and it is not a bad thing or not because of the tattoos or gauges he was. I also feel like I have seen him somewhere before. Maybe he has been on the television before or he is famous, they often do this to show how nice they could be and how willing they are to do other jobs. "I want to see what other careers are out there in case my band fails and I want to try something else," Jorel replies. That had made me really interested, this guy seems to be doing quite well financially and he was even prepared if the eventuality comes that it doesn't really work. I did want to know what band he is in and if I have ever seen him perform live in concert.

"That's fair enough, which band are you in?" I ask him. It could have been a stupid question but I really wanted to know, if he was in a band that I hadn't heard of before then I could check them out later on in the day and see what I think. "I'm in the band Hollywood Undead," he replies and that name instantly clicks with me. "That's cool, I've seen you perform live a few times," I reply and he smiles at me, I doubt he recognizes me though. I usually ask why people want to do this. It helps me know what to tell them about zoo life. We rarely get adults doing this anymore, it is usually children that get to do it as a birthday present or because of Make a Wish foundation that we see do the program which is fun. I also love doing it with children, especially Make a Wish children. It can be magical when we make a very sick child's day and make them happy.

"Right then, I'll leave you in the capable hands of Danny and I'll be back in half an hour," Amy tells us and leaves us to our own devices. Jorel decides to have a look around the playroom while I was petting Krio. He wanted to see what cubs we have here before he looked at me. "This is the room that we call the playroom. This is where we help rear any cubs who have been abandoned by their mothers until they are old enough to rejoin their kind." I tell him. We have a lion, two tigers, a leopard and an ocelot cub in here at the moment, all at different stages of life and development. None of them are old enough to be with their kind just yet and even if they were then they weren't ready just yet. We might have to wait another month for the tigers to be ready.