[Fluff] Seaside Sweatheart ~ South Italy X Reader

Notes: Nyotalia And Mertalia Au!

[Warning: Mature Language and attempt of suicide by drowning]

(Y/n)'s POV
I stared out to the sea as I sat on the docks. I wanted to be free. If only I could breathe underwater. Then I could be able to swim away from this torture.

When I was younger, about maybe 6, I saw a mermaid. I did. I truly did. She was my age too. She had been hiding under the docks, behind a rock, staring at me and my family. It had been my father's wedding party with my stepmom(I didn't know my birth mum. She passed away soon after my birth) The mermaid had dark chocolate coloured hair and caramel hazel coloured eyes that I saw had green specks in. I had smiled at her in awe before whispering "Mermaid...". She had froze when she noticed my gaze. She ducked into the water and I had shouted after her.

After that, my siblings (step siblings, I had been an only child before my dad got remarried) had ridiculed me and bullied me, telling me I was stupid and that mermaids don't exist. All of the kids my age did. And older. My stepmom and father had believed me. Though my father sadly passed when I was 8. My stepmom had looked after me the best she could. I held on to my belief that mermaids existed. Even now. I get weird looks all the time but I've survived.

I sighed. That doesn't mean it didn't take its toll on me. I only trust my stepmom. I played with the shell bracelet that my stepmom had gotten me when I was younger. It still fit. I wore it all the time. Never taken it off. Even when swimming, I wore it.

My shoes sat next to me while I swung my legs back and forth. "I wonder where you are. My mysterious mermaid..." I sighed. I stared at the water below my feet. Something caught my eyes and I peered into the water. I leaned farther to it to see better but leaned too far.

"Ah!"

I landed into the water with a huge splash, thankfully getting enough air in my lungs as my head went under. I opened my eyes that I had closed from the Impact to face the face of surprise. Her eyes! My eyes widened and I stupidly tried to speak before jumping up to cough out the water and gasping for air. I saw her go to swim away under the water but I quickly gulped some air and went under to grab her arm. She froze and stared at me in fear. I brought her up to the air. We spoke up at the same time. "What do you want!" She exclaimed. "Don't go!" I exclaimed. We were silent. "You're a mermaid. The one I saw when I was six." I whispered. Her face twisted into confusion and fear along with annoyance. "So what? What's it to you?" She hissed. "I've wanted to see you again." I admitted. "You'll exposed me and I'll become a circus act! I've seen what your kind do to mine! Stick us in tanks of water and displayed as pets!" She hissed pushed me back under the dock and against the rock. "I won't! I promise!" "I don't believe you!" "I swear! I'd never do that! I think that's just horrible!" I exclaimed. She stared at me cautiously before huffing. "Fine. But if I find out you did anything, I will kill you." She hissed. I nodded. She grumbled and went to swim off. "Wait!" I exclaimed. She looked at me warily. "What's your name?" I asked. "Give me yours first." She hissed. "(Y/n). (Y/n) (L/n)." I said. "Chiara Vargas. Now I'm going." "Can I see you again?" She hesitated in answering before sighing. "I've got nothing better to do. Fine. Tomorrow. Whatever time you came here today. Now goodbye." She said grumbling as she then swam off. "Bye!"

I smiled.

Time Skip
I walked down the dock before sitting down with my shoes off and my legs dangling off the end. I yelped as my ankle was grabbed and I fell into the water. "I'm surprised you came." Said Chiara who looked bored as she leaned against the rock. "Well I'm here!" I exclaimed. "Whatever." She grumbled. I swam over to the rock and leaned against it. "What's it like?" I asked. She raised an eyebrow. "What's it like? Being a mermaid you mean?" She asked. I nodded. "What's it to you?" She grumbled. "I've been interested since I was young. You must be so free." I sighed. She rolled her eyes. "No. It's not. We've got our own rules just like your kind." Said Chiara hissing by the end. "Oh. Well what's it like down at a reef and with all the fish and such? It must be so colourful..." I asked. "Dangerous. Because of your kind sailing the waters." She hissed. I sighed. "Okay then... Why don't you ask me some questions since you don't seem to want to talk about it." I said. She huffed. "Fine." Chiara was quiet for a moment before asking. "Why are you so interested with my kind?" She asked disinterested. I tried to speak but hesitated. "I don't really know..." I whispered. She looked at me confused. "I've always loved the ocean and your kind has always gave me some sort of hope." I answered. "Tsk. Hope?" I sighed and stared at the beach. "I don't know why you seemingly hate humans but I can understand it. I don't like humans all that much either..." I muttered. "Huh? What the hell do you mean?" She asked. I focused my eyes back on her. "Everyone I know, apart from my stepmom, hate me. I'm the crazy one to them." I admitted. Her eyebrows furrowed slightly as she tried to hide her worried expression. I smiled as I brushed off the depressing thoughts. "Ah but that's expected when you're the only one believing in mermaids and all that." I joked. She huffed and looked away. "Humans are so stupidly confusing." She huffed. I laughed. "I guess we are. Anyhow, can you describe what it's like under the water with other mermaids and stuff?" I asked.