Chapter 34

***Katie’s POV

I guess now that I know Mike has a thing for Emma I can totally see it. There’s something different about the way he acts around her and he tends to pay a lot more attention to her than anyone else. It was really a bummer. I watched them from the corner of my eye while I stirred the ice in my drink.

“You don’t think that Emma likes Mike, do you?” Jessica said as she suddenly appeared by my side.

“What?” I shook my head a bit to pull myself back into reality. “Why would you even think that?”

Look at them!” She gestured towards them. They were standing around laughing while Josh was talking to some other guys behind them. “They just ooze chemistry. There is no way that there’s nothing going on between them!”

“No, Emma has Josh-”

Jessica cut me off. “But she also has Mike. Earlier he was carrying her around over his shoulder and putting her on the counter and stuff. I swear it looked like a scene in a movie where the guy finally spontaneously kisses the girl of his dreams.”

He probably thought about it.

Jeez that sucks.

“Emma is a one guy type of girl. She would never do that to Josh.” I assured her.

“Well, Emma is definitely a lucky girl. I would love to say I was dating Josh Ramsay.” I gave Jessica a look and she quickly added, “I mean, Matt’s awesome too, don’t get me wrong but… Well, you know what I mean.”

She winked at me before she walked off to find Matt somewhere. I looked back at Mike and Emma and sighed. Some people get all the luck.

Josh then turned around and tapped Emma on the shoulder. She turned and I guess he asked her to join him because she moved by his side and everyone he was talking to smiled at her. Mike was kind of left on his own. I quickly turned my gaze elsewhere and sipped on my drink nervously.

“Having fun yet?” I heard a voice beside me say.

I looked over and saw Mike had made his way over to me. Out of surprise, I think I made my typical deer-in-headlights look because he chuckled at me as I took a moment to answer.

“It looks like you definitely were.” I said while nodding in Emma’s direction.

He looked back at her then to me, “Oh you saw that? Can I ask you something?”

“I don’t know. You can try but if it gets too difficult, you should stop.” I said.

He smiled at that and shook his head a bit before he said, “Is it that obvious?”

I looked around at the crowded apartment and got brave, “Do you want to talk about this outside or something?”

He glanced in Emma’s direction and sighed, “Yeah, maybe that’s best.”

We left the apartment and just sat in the hallway.

“This is so stupid.” Mike said while shaking his head. “I shouldn’t be like this.”

“It’s not your fault.” I said as I pat him on the back.

“Do you think if I just tell her I could move on?” Mike looked at me.

I thought about it for a second before I said, “No.”

He looked a bit puzzled so I explained.

“It would be best for you and Emma’s friendship if you didn’t tell her. You remember how she reacted to Jake.” I reminded him.

He looked like he was taking this into consideration.