Chapter 53

***Emma’s POV

Breakfast was going great. Brad had me laughing the entire time. I think the highlight of the morning was definitely me managing to make orange juice come out of his nose. I haven’t made someone do that since high school and it looked incredibly painful and funny at the same time.

We were just sitting around after we finished our plates when I felt my phone vibrate and opened it to see a text from Josh. Just seeing his name on my phone still made my heart freak out.

I miss you so much already!

I smiled to myself as I replied back.

I miss you too! Anything exciting going on right now?

“Who’s that?” Brad asked with a smirk while nodding towards my phone.

“Josh just saying he misses me.” I said with a dopey grin.

“Oh, you should tell him I said hi.” Brad winked.

I laughed, “Definitely not!”

“Why not?” Brad chuckled.

“Because he would be so mad if he knew I was hanging out with you.” I said as I scrunched up my nose.

“Oh would he?” Brad arched his eyebrow.

“Yes so behave!” I said as I felt my phone vibrate again.

I opened his text to see a picture of all the guys passed out in the back of the bus with the caption “Yup. It’s so exciting.”

I giggled and texted back.

Sorry, babe. When do you guys play tonight?

Brad grabbed my attention by clearing his throat.

“I should probably get back to work.” He said while beginning to stand up.

“Oh right! I’m sorry about that!” I said while putting my phone away in my bag.

I was being rude by texting while hanging out with Brad especially considering I invited him out. I turned to get out of my seat and saw Brad holding his hand out to me to help me up. Not that I needed it but it was a kind gesture. I smiled as I accepted his hand but quickly released it as soon as I was on my feet. I realized that if it had been Mike (pre knowledge of Katie) then I would’ve accepted his hand gladly and wouldn’t care. At least I’m trying to take my friendship slow with Brad by having Josh in mind.

Brad didn’t seem bothered by my slight rejection of him; instead he just smiled and held his arm out to me. It was innocent enough and Josh and I did that when we were first reunited in Vancouver. I looped my arm through his as he escorted me to his car where he opened and closed my door for me.

“Where have you been all morning?” Katie asked while sitting up from the couch as I walked in.

“I ran into an old friend and decided to catch up.” I said as I put down my bag and took off my shoes.

“Remember what happened last time you ran into an old friend?” Katie warned.

“This time it’s a guy and I highly doubt that he’ll try kissing my boyfriend.” I said as I plopped down on the couch beside her.

“You never know nowadays!” she shrugged with a laugh.

“Trust me. I know he’s not interested.” I giggled as I turned my attention to her stomach.

She didn’t look really any different but that makes sense. She’s only in her first trimester. It feels so weird to think there’s a baby growing inside her. I don’t think I’ll quite believe it (not that I think she’s lying) until she starts showing more. I think that’s when it’ll really hit me.