Chapter 38

***Mike’s POV

“Gone?” Josh repeated in shock. “What do you mean she’s gone?”

“She’s going back home and moving in with Jake.” I said.

Josh now seemed distant. “No. No. She can’t.”

I glanced down at the note I found in her room in my hand, “That’s what she said in the note.”

I guess Josh hadn’t noticed I even had it until then. His head shot up and he grabbed the note from me.

Josh mumbled the note out loud, “By the time you find this, I’ll already be on my way back home. Jake’s taking me in. I’m sorry things had to end up this way. Emma.”

I watched as his eyes read over those lines over and over again like he couldn’t understand what they were saying. I didn’t know what to do so I just stood there.

Josh crumpled up the note and let out a cry of anger as he threw it across the room. He pulled out his cell phone and tried dialing a number, which I’m assuming was Emma’s. I heard it go straight to voicemail.

“Fuck!” he yelled as he threw his phone across the room and sunk to the floor to bury his head in his hands.

He didn’t move. He just stayed like that. I picked up the note and sat beside him. Neither of us said anything for a while. We just sat there.

I couldn’t believe she just left like that. I know it was selfish, but I wish she had said bye or left a little more than that little note.

“I fucked this up bad.” He eventually mumbled.

I didn’t say anything. He didn’t need me to.

“I don’t know what do to.” He said.

He didn’t say anything after that. We sat there a bit longer before I decided to get up.

“You can stay here tonight. I’ll let you know if she tries talking to me, ok?” I said.

Josh lifted his head and he looked a wreck. He wiped his eyes and sniffed.

“Thanks.” He mumbled as he made his way to the couch. I passed Emma’s room on the way to mine and it broke my heart a little. I reached for the handle but stopped myself. He had slowly began leaving clothes here but they were all in her room. I sighed to myself.

He can just borrow some of mine.

I brought out some of my clothes for him and he already got a blanket and pillow from the closet in the hall. We didn’t say anything.

When I got back to my room, I threw myself on my bed. What a day! I lost my roommate. One of the best girls I’ve even known.

I sighed to myself and noticed a piece of paper on the pillow beside me. I immediately sat up and started reading. Some of the ink was smeared and blotted from what I’m assuming are her tears mixed with makeup.

Mike,

I’m so sorry things turned out this way. I really wanted to say bye to you but I figured he would come home with you. I’m settling for your own personal letter instead.

 I’ll miss you so much while I’m away. Don’t tell Josh but I bought a round trip ticket. I’ll be back in two weeks so I can either pack up all my belongings and officially quit my job or I could maybe stay and just avoid Josh. Right now I’m leaning towards just packing up all my stuff. As much as I’ll miss living with you, I just don’t think I can handle seeing him again. I’m so sorry, Mike.