♤XV♤

Antonio

   PJ woke up bright and early the day after we took him home. It was quite a surprise since he'd normally wake up around noon after passing out. My parents made him waffles since I knew they were his favorite and they had a tea kettle boiling for him as well. He looked fairly well for someone who's hungover but the bags underneath his eyes were hard not to stare at.

I'd asked my parents the night before if he'd be allowed to stay with us for the summer and they agreed as long as he slept with me. They didn't trust him to sleep on the couch because they thought he'd try to run away or hurt himself. I agreed with them that it'd be better if I kept an eye on him at all times but I doubted that he'd return to the liquor store.

I watched as PJ made light conversation with my family as they asked him about school. It was all going fine until they brought up life after high school. His eyes seemed to widen with bewilderment and it pained my heart. I soon realized that no one ever thought he'd make it past or even out of high school. The fact that no one's thought or even pretended that he could get that far was agonizing.

I hoped that staying with me for the summer would help him realize that he's worth much more than his horrendous parents make him out to be.