♡XXII♡

Eagle

It's been a week since Blair and I got into our little fight. We continued to text like nothing had ever happened but it was always in the back of my head. When someone kisses you, asks you out, and then dumps you within a day it's hard not to forget.

Blair asked me if I wanted to come over which was pretty strange since we don't normally go to each other's houses. Sure we'd talk in school, meet in between our houses, and were practically always together but we never actually hung out.

The average summer consisted of us hanging out a total of zero times. Blair wouldn't normally ask to hang out or even text me during the summer. I'd never been able to figure out why he'd do that but it was quite a pleasant change to see him actually making an effort in our friendship.

I was a bit apprehensive to go to his house since we'd just fought. I doubt that it was the best idea to suddenly get together. I thought we needed more time to cool off and adjust but hanging out just for a while shouldn't hurt.

Blair dribbled a soccer ball outside his garage as he waited for my arrival. I greeted him with a simple hi as he led me into his house.

The first thing I noticed wasn't the recently vacuumed carpet, plates of poorly made chicken nuggets, or the radio sitting in between the chicken plates but the fact that it was silent.  Blair's house was known for being moderately loud at all times of the day but for one it was dead silent.

"Where's everyone?" I asked out of curiosity.

"My brother had a soccer game. I don't think they'll be home for a while," was the response he blurted out way too quickly. It was almost as if he was waiting for me to ask.

"Did you make these?" I asked referring to the chicken nuggets laid on two paper plates.

"Yeah, I'm sorry if they're not good," he replied a bit nervous. Since when did Blair cook? I thought he was afraid of making anything in fear that he'd burn the house down.

"I'm sure they're fine but nothing will ever beat McDonald's," I replied laughing.

I took a bite of Blair's misshaped chicken nuggets to be surprised that they were notably good. Blair fidgeted with the ketchup bottle for a while before asking if I wanted to listen to any music. Was that even a question?

He switched the radio into Bluetooth and turned on his top 25 playlists. Play that song was the first tune to enter my ears. I was a bit shocked that this was Blair's number one most played. The chords were so basic and the song was far too repetitive. I couldn't see how anyone should enjoy it.

"Play that song. The one that makes me go all night long. The one that makes me think of you. That's all you gotta do," was about to be sung x20 more times before the tune was over. I would've asked to switch the song if it wasn't for Blair singing along. Since when did Blair sing? Damn, I know literally nothing about him. Cooking, singing, what next?

Blair's voice drowned out train's overused lyrics and turned them into something more meaningful. His voice serenaded my eardrums and I didn't want the song to end.

"You're actually a really good singer," I said blushing a bit. I was quite shocked about his hidden talent but I was ecstatic to listen to him sing.

"Oh really? Thanks. I don't sing much but I really like that song," he replied as his face flashed bright fuschia.

We didn't talk much after that. We just kind of ate the rest of our chicken nuggets in silence as his playlist ran its course. Once we finished eating we made our way to his room where I lost myself in the millions of blankets and pillows on his bed. Understand this. If there's anything that's anywhere close to my love for music then it'd have to be blankets. My bed had about 10 even though it was summer but my body always managed to get cold.

After watching me embarrassingly play with his blankets Blair crawled under the covers with me. I turned to face him only to begin laughing and giving him a gigantic dorky smile. His face was flushing red and he looked like a cherry tomato. I waited for him to say something to break the silence but that moment never came. Instead, he wrapped his arms around my waist pulling me into a hug. Was it a hug? I have no clue. We were laying down. Was this cuddling? Damn, I really need to catch up with all of these things. If someone could read my mind they'd think I'm an absolute idiot.

I responded by resting my arms behind his neck only out of comfort since they were beginning to fall asleep. The warmth of another human felt soothing and I knew that this feeling was familiar. It reminded me of PJ and all the times he'd wrap himself around me. I missed the feeling of having someone so physically close to your heart and I didn't want to let it go. I knew that cuddling with Blair was a horrible idea but I couldn't move. I was stuck in his arms and it felt nice. It felt right but I knew it wasn't.

Sharing an emotional connection by just physically touching was not the best idea. I was trying not to catch feelings for him and doing couples activities was not the way to prevent them. I knew I had to stop but I thought that being surrounded by his warmth for just a little longer couldn't hurt.