Chapter 38

CHAPTER 38

(Mike)

I hopped out the taxi and threw his money through the passenger window. I ran to the entrance, flinging the doors back as I tried to look for any type of way to Andy.

I called and told him I was downstairs and ran to the nearest desk. There were people in front of me and me being impatient I moved them out my way.

"Move out my fucking way." I yelled at them until I got to the front.

"Sir." The lady scolded me. "There is a line."

"I don't give two fucks about you or your line. Where is your emergency wing?" I asked her. She was mad but soon told me.

"Second floor." I thanked her and ran to the stairs.

I wasn't going to take the elevator, fuck that, I'm not waiting. I ran up the stairs two at a time until I got to the top. I ran through the two sets of double doors into a nearly empty hallway. The sight of Andy caught my eye, he was sitting down with a man in front of him. His head was in his hands and I could hear his cries.

"Andy?" The man in front of him turned to me and Andy looked up.

"Who are you?" The man in the glasses asked.

"I'm Mike. My brother is here, Vic. Who the hell are you?" He seemed shocked at the tone and way I talked to him.

"I'm doctor Sykes. Your brothers doctor." He said it in the way where I felt ashamed for how I spoke to him.

"How is he? Is my brother alright?" I looked at him, then down to Andy.

"Mike." Andy said shaking his head. He stood up and came over to me, I opened my arms and hugged him. He sobbed into my shirt and I could care less.

"He is alright, but he has a tumor." He said and my heart shattered at the word.

"Tumor?" I questioned.

"Yes, he has one located at the cranial base, or the base of his skull. It is called Astrocytoma. It happens very rarely and occurs in both adults and children. But because astrocytomas can grow very slowly, lower-grade tumors may need nothing more than close observation." He explained.

"So what does that mean?" I was getting terrified.

Andy gripped my shirt, I could tell that he didn't want to listen anymore. Before the doctor spoke I held up a finer asking for one minute, he accepted. I pulled Andy over to side and tried to get him to calm down.

"Andy what's wrong?" He looked at me and I never felt so bad.

"I can't Mike. I don't want to hear this. I just want to go see Vic." He cried.

"Okay, let me see what I can do." I told him and he gave me a hug and thanked me. I walked back over to doctor Sykes.

"Do you mind if we go see him?" I asked.

"Not at all, he is sleeping though. We can talk more about him as we go to the room." He said I motioned for Andy to go, he started going opening the double doors.

"What room?" He turned and asked.

"13c." Doctor Sykes told him.

When Andy started back to walking he continued our conversation.

"We will have to monitor his behavior, the brain activity levels, and have occasional MRI or CAT scans to see if the tumor grows. There is a grading scale we use to classify the tumor, his is at grade II. It's not bad but unfortunately we can't do any radiation until it's in at least grade III." I couldn't believe my ears.

"So can it be fixed? Can you remove the tumor?" He took a deep sigh.

"Yes we can. But it'll only grow back faster or bigger. If we cut off pieces of it, that might slow down the growth, but it cannot fully be removed. I'm sorry." He placed his hand on my shoulder as Andy found Vic's room and went inside it.

"I'll do anything. Please just get it out of him and make him better. Whatever it cost." I told him.

"I'll see what I can do. I'll have to meet up with surgeons and neurologist. I'll see what we can do about it and hopefully save your brother." He smiled.

"Thank you soo much." I hugged him and he hugged me back. I let go and ran into Vic's room.

He was pale, but he looked normal. Andy was hunched over him crying. I couldn't stand to look at this. I heard someone call my name, I turned around to see Doctor Sykes motioning for me to come to him. I left the room and went to the side of the door, out of Andy's view, to talk to him.

"Vic was given morphine, he was having terrible headaches. He should be waking up in a matter of minutes. DO. NOT." He said that slowly. "Overwhelm him with everything. Don't tell him his condition or anything. It'll only make it worst for the both of you okay?" I took a deep breath and nodded. He turned away and strolled back down the halls.

I went in and pulled Andy to the side to talk to him.

"The doctor updated me on everything. I'll tell you it all later if you want. Vic is going to wake up in a bit but we can not tell Vic what is going on with him. If we do then it'll cause problems for us all okay? So lie to him the begs you can." I bit down on the inside of my jaw to keep from crying.

"Okay." He sobbed and walked over to his side and started crying again.

I watched over them for what seemed like hours, Vic eventually woke up. Andy left to clean his face so Vic wouldn't know something was up. He didn't know where he was, he started to hyperventilate.

"Hey you're okay." I comforted him. "You're just in the hospital. No worries."

"What do you mean? Why am I in the hospital?" He sat up and stared at me intently.

"You're okay. You just fainted or whatever. It's nothing everything's okay." I felt tears about to come down my eyes, Andy thankfully entered the room. He had the happiest face painted on and I don't know how he did it.

"Vic! I'm soo happy to see you. I was worried sick. I love you." He went over to him and cried tears of joy. He wrapped his arms around his neck and kissed his lips then his cheeks.

"I'm sorry I scared you." Vic said guiltily.

"You're fine. I'm just glad you're okay now." Andy kissed him one more time.

"Well can I get a hug from my brother?" Vic asked with his smile growing hugely.

I went over and hugged him.

"I love you bro. Thanks for coming." He told me.

"I love you too big bro." I whispered in his ear.

I felt the tears fall and I didn't stop them. I can't believe this is happening soo soon. He can't be going through this, at least not when he's barely lived. I can't believe I might lose my big brother. No I won't lose him, I am going to fight this.

"I'll be back." I told him and Andy as I pulled from Vic and walked in the hall. I took out my phone and dialed the only people I needed right now.

"Jaime. Put me on speaker. I need to speak with you and Tony. We're going to do something amazing. I bet you'll never have a Friday night like this."

This was going to unbelievable.