Dead Silent

Narrator

The car ride was silent, but May's fidgeting leg from the front seat created a harsh atmosphere. She wasn't mad, as nothing could have been done about such a thing, but she was so clearly worried about you and Peter.

When everyone returned to the ground, safely, Peter was there, watching you with worry. She was so quick to wrap you both in a hug, devastated for what could have happened.

"I'm just glad you two are okay." She spoke out of the blue. Peter looked at you in the side mirror, but you just looked away.

What was going on with him? Where did he go, and why won't he tell May that he wasn't in the building?

"Me too." He sighed, continuing to look at you. You couldn't handle the secrets behind his eyes, so you averted your own once again.

The rest of the ride was dead silent, other than her anxious foot. 

~~~

"Are you two okay for the night?" May asked as you all stood in the living room.

"Aunt May, we are fine." Peter gave her shoulders a reassuring rub as he spoke.

"I just want to make sur-"

"May really, we are okay." You smiled delicately at her when she looked at you. None the less, she gave you a thin lipped, worried smile before nodding and retreating to her room.

The only light left on was the lamp beside the couch, causing shadows that seemed to cascade over your emotions.

You should have been so proud of yourself for the big win, and happy to be alive after the terror, but something within your chest frowned.

"Goodnight." You spoke lightly, struggling to wheel your suitcase around the corner.

"Here, lemme hel-"

"I can do it!" You snapped at him. He pulled his arms away from the luggage and frowned at you.

"Y/n..." This was just like the elevator. Peter did NOT want you to treat him the same as Spiderman, he wanted you to treat him as he was.

"Where were you?" You asked, looking at him. If it wasn't before, the betrayal was now clear on your face. The disappointment soaked you like a washed rug.

He just looked at you, as if he wanted to say something but didn't know how.

"You said you would be there." You choked on your words. Why did this hurt you so bad? Perhaps the fact that he lied, or broke a promise he didn't truly make.  Or maybe, even, something else.

He just kept silent. Taking it all in as if feeling like he deserved it.

"This was the first time I did something for myself, and you weren't there."

"Y/n I'm sorry," he whispered.

"And even worse," you continued. "You won't tell me anything, and you lied to May!" You scolded.

"And Ned knows." You pointed out, looking to the ground. "I've tried so hard not to be upset with what goes on between you and Ned, it isn't fair for me to feel like that. But when something is affecting US, I have the right to worry."

"It isn't like that!" He argued back.

"How? How is it not like that?!" You yelled back. May could probably hear the two of you, but luckily she decided to let you hash it out yourselves.

"This isn't meant to affect anyone else, not Ned, not May, and certainly not you!"

"And you won't even tell me." You growled. You didn't want to cry, it frustrated you that you were an angry crier, but the tears stung your eyes as they filled slowly.

"I'm trying to protect you." He pleaded out. He seemed genuine, you didn't know how to respond. "Please just trust me..."

"Trust you?! I was so fucking worried about you! I don't even know WHAT to trust you about!"

"That I'm safe! That you and I are okay, I'm okay! I get lost in... stuff... a-and lose track of time. I didn't mean for this to happen. I'm so sorry (your nickname) I truly am."

His use of your nickname stuck to your heart, giving a little more room for sorrow and less for anger. He was safe, and you trusted him. Being less angry didn't stop the tears; It, infact, escalated them.

"I was so scared..." You sobbed out, changing the subject to the awful experience in the Monument. "No one told me what happened, or why. They just called parents to take us home. No questions or comments, just ignorance. FROM EVERYONE!"

Despite moving his arms away before, he quickly wrapped them back around you and pulled you into a safe hug.

"And while I was in the process of falling stories upon stories, my thoughts were 'is Peter gunna be okay with out me?'" You continued. Peter let you ramble on and on about your day, knowing it was good for you.

"I was worried about you?" You gave a harsh tone. "A-and then Spiderman and he... he talked about not saving my mom and... god!"

Peter knew you were right, so your words didn't hurt him. What really hurt him was how much you depended on him, and he let you down. You were counting on him, and as far as you knew, he was nothing.

"I know, babe. And I am so damn sorry for what you had to go through. You're safe now, and I promise I will never do this to you again." He kissed your forehead after he spoke.

Now it was an official promise.

You hiccuped into his chest, all of the fear and anxiety from the trip pouring out like a weak volcano. This was what you needed him for. Not your entire life, not every step of everything.

You were two individual beings, but you needed someone to go to when you were weak.

He was your rock.

"I'm sorry I missed your big win. I'm so proud of you."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~