RAAS chapter 7

Did Concubine Li eat the pill?

While Shi Qing was worrying, she was leaning back on her couch, staring at the little pill.

She was burning good spices in her censer, so her room not only smelled good, but it also provided recuperating effects. Those spices were some that Madam Li Er had specially brought from the South, worth thousands of gold—calling them expensive was not adequate. However, because Emperor Xuan Cheng favoured their scent, Concubine Li would burn them year round, never stopping.

It was already late in the day; she knew that the Emperor would not come see her today, and could not help but feel a little gloomy.

Presently, one of the palace servants came in, so Concubine Li took the opportunity to inquire after the whereabouts of Emperor Xuan Cheng. The small eunuch whispered, "The Emperor went to the Chu Xiu Palace." When Concubine Li heard this, her mood turned gloomier. When she gave it some thought, the Emperor had spent many nights recently in the Blue Jade Palace—she had been spoiled. She had even said many malicious things about the Empress and the Crown Prince. The Emperor listened to her earnestly, and had seemed inclined to revoke the Crown Prince's status as heir.

How could she have suspected that Concubine Cheng Xiang, that slut, would actually manage to charm her way into the Emperor's company? It seemed like the Emperor had suddenly changed his heart, and in only two days had moved his favour to her!

Concubine Li was also aware of the possibility of a newcomer; how could she avoid being concerned about that when it came to looks? Whether it was the fresh complexion or a pair of large, beautiful eyes revealing the vitality of youth, it was truly difficult to compete with those tender, flower-like girls.

While she entertained those thoughts, Concubine Li twisted the handkerchief she held. She glanced again at the Zhu Yan Pill, and was filled with a strong impulse to just consume it.

Madam Li Er was very astute, and her conduct was always reliable; she would not risk harming the Imperial Concubine. As for the man who made the pill, he would not risk the lives of his entire family to hand over an unsafe pill. Even the Imperial physician claimed that there was no toxicity...

After these thoughts had crossed through her mind, Concubine Li had finally reached her limit. She picked up the pill and smelled its cold and fresh aroma. She thought of the Emperor warming nephrite, steeled her heart, and popped the pill into her mouth.

Once it entered her mouth, the pill immediately slid down her throat, and the taste was actually very good.

Concubine Li waited for a while, but she did not feel like there was anything strange happening. Just as she went to get up, she suddenly felt like her whole body was on fire. It started from her stomach and began to spread, and the heat caused her to sweat profusely.

Her heart began to feel unwell, and she began to consider calling out to her servants. It was at this moment that she glanced at the mirror, and suddenly froze, her eyes widened in shock.

The woman in the mirror was also holding the edge of the screen. Her hair cascaded down like black silk, and a pair of large, beautiful eyes looked back—mellow yet romantic. Her skin was once again smooth and lustrous; it resembled delicate flower petals—even music could not capture this beauty...

Concubine Li hurriedly walked in front of the mirror to get a closer look, and her heart was wild with joy. She actually looked the same as she did at the age of 17; her looks had reverted to the most magnificent age.

Unexpectedly, this medicinal pill; not only did it work, the results could only be described as miraculous!

Concubine Li was emotionally overwhelmed. Her face was blooming like a peony—extremely beautiful. Her eyes darted around for a moment, and her mind was starting to form plans.