08|Memories

"Gryffindor." The sorting hat announces loudly to the room.

Hope smiles when she hears the loud cheering from her friends at the table of Lions.

Hope sits in between Harry and Hermione at the table and they all start piling food on their plates.

"I'm happy you're one of us." Hermione tells Hope.

"Me too." Shouts Ginny from down the table. Hope turns and winks at the ginger girl who turns away with a bright blush on her face.

"Hope, stop flirting with my sister." Ron says whilst eating. Hermione hits him in the arm when a piece of food flies out of his mouth.

"I'm only teasing." Hope says with a smirk.

"Good evening, children." Dumbledore begins his speech.

"Now we have two changes in staffing this year. We're pleased to welcome back Professor Grubbly-Plank who will be taking care of Magical Creatures while Professor Hagrid is on temporary leave." Hope can see the confusion and concern on Harry's face at the mention of Hagrid's absence.

"We're also wish to welcome our new defence against the dark arts teacher, Professor Dolores Umbridge. And I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing the professor good luck. As usual our caretaker, Mr Filch has asked me to..." Dumbledore is interrupted a throat clearing.

The lady wearing all pink stands up at the heads table and everyone in the hall turns to look at her.

"She was at my hearing." Harry whispers to hope and Hermione whilst Umbridge approaches the podium Dumbledore was speaking at.

"She works for Fudge." Harry explains.

"Thank you, Headmaster." Umbridge said with a sickly sweet voice. "For those kind words of welcome."

"And how lovely to see all your bright, happy faces smiling up at me." Hope snorts at this.

"I'm sure we're all going to be very good friends." Umbridge said whilst looking out at all the children.

"That's likely." Fred and George say together.

"The Ministry of Magic has always considered the education of young witches and wizards to be of vital importance. Although each headmaster has brought something new to this historic school..." Umbridge pauses and looks at Dumbledore.

"Progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved, perfect what can be perfected, and prune practices that ought to be... prohibited." She said the last word in a whisper.

Umbridge starts walking back to her seat and Dumbledore begins clapping for her. There's a slight applaud in the hall.

"Thank you, Professor Umbridge. That really was most illuminating." Dumbledore said obviously lying.

Hope looks over to the heads table, as Dumbledore carries on speaking, and laughs at the disturbed expressions on Snape and McGonagall's face when the lady all in pink sits with them.

"Illuminating? What a load of waffles." Ron says.

"What's it mean?" Harry asks Hermione.

"It means the Ministry is interfering at Hogwarts." Hermione tells them all.

After the meal in the great hall everyone is dismissed for the night to head to their common rooms. Hermione helped show Hope the way to Gryffindor common room and where the girls dorms are.

Hope met her other roommates, Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil. They reminded Hope of a less intelligent Lizzie Saltzman.

That evening in the common room there was a confrontation between Harry and Seamus Finnigan about whether Harry is a liar about seeing Voldemort get resurrected.