One

The beginning of this story will have a few big time jumps, so please try to notice it in the writing! Hope it isn't confusing

Enjoy!

"Back again?" Levi impassively greeted, swallowing the chuckle that threatened to escape his lips

It had been odd to him; he couldn't remember the last time he'd wanted to do such a peculiar thing. It was devastating too; ever since she suddenly came into his life, he noticed that he was having to hold back more than ever before. He'd faltered in a few instances, Amelia catching a rare glimpse of Levi's smile, or the rich timbre of his surprisingly infectious laugh.

And when those extraordinary cases occurred, she loved hearing it; the joyous chime was quite literal music to her ears, a sound she would never tire of hearing.

"Don't act like you don't like seeing me, Ackerman." She retorted with an unusually cheeky grin.

Amelia had been visiting Levi randomly throughout the last year and a half, ever since they met for the first time outside his rundown house. She'd typically return bearing some sort of food for him, worried that he wasn't taking proper tending himself. Ironically, he had the same troubles regarding her well-being.

Levi, though he'd never admit it, had grown fond of the girl and often anticipated her visits. Truthfully, he'd grown lonely since Kenny left- even if they weren't particularly close to begin with. His biggest problem was that he found most people to be a nuisance.

However, Amelia was different from everyone else, she didn't count.

Over the course of their odd friendship, Amelia had matured quickly. But when you're homeless in the underground, you don't have much of a choice.

Levi had also grown up, close to being sixteen now, his birthday only a month away- not that he typically celebrated, nor had he ever desired to do so.

"Oi brat, I have a question." He announced as she granted him half a loaf of the wheat bread she'd stolen.

"Okay." The fourteen year old bit into her share, waiting for his following query.